• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pullin' a sled...

northernsportman

Ive got a clam trap voyager thats a couple years old. The bottom has some pretty good scratches from use and it is getting harder to pull by hand...no snowmobile. I was wondering, are there any alternatives out there other than Hyfax that i could tack onto the bottom to make it pull nice? That hyfax is a little spendy so i am looking for a cheaper alternative cuz its a bigger sled. I have tried waxing and such and it works for a bit. Thanks in advance

If you can find a old pair of winter skis at a garage sale they are usually pretty cheap and if at all possible try to raise them up with a 2x4 just to give you some clearance from the snow and it will make it so much easier to pull you will be amazed. I made a sled this way for my 8x8 portable and it pulls as easy as my Otter Lodge.

i heard from someone that there is stuff pretty much like hyfax, cant remember the name of it but comes in sheets, cuz i would need quite a bit for the voyager. can someone tell what it is and how much it would run me and where to buy? thanks for the suggestions

What you want is UHMW. It can be very spendy depending on the size you want. 48"x120"x 1/8 is $153 but if you get it in the rectangular bars 1/2" x3" it is $4.18 a foot. US Plastic

Jimalm, i was thinking about the one post four above about the skis. I am trying to figure out did you mount it on 2x4's on the side or when it was laying flat? Would the mounting them on the sled end up cracking the sled? Would it be stable? I want to do the best i can without spending a fortune. Did you cut off the rest of the skis if there was any excess off the back side. thanks

The sled I made is for putting my fish house on but it is not mounted to it. I have to use straps to keep it on when going over rough ice. The one I made use's downhill skis.I bolted it to the skis with a counter sunk screw on the bottom of the ski to a L shaped ( 1/8" thick 2"x2"x4") piece if aluminum on top. This is to minimize the drag. If you were using wood you could do the same but now you would attach your 2x4 to the L and you would only need the 2x4 to be 12" high. There would be 2 per ski and then you would make a frame that your house could sit inside of and then you would attach the skis to each side. I wish that I could show you pictures cause I know it would make more sense then me trying to describe it but it is up at the cabin and I will not get up there until the 7th but I will post some pics. The one I made is all aluminum and stainless bolts. Hope this helps and if anymore ? I will try to describe or answer.

It does make sense, but i want something to be attached to the sled, just easier for me. i was thinking of just taking some old water skis that my grandma has, and either bolt them on the bottom somehow or take and mount them on 2x4s and mount them on the sled. i want it to be light and cheap, as well as pulling really easily. If i happened to mount 2x4s on it, do you think it would do anything to the sled, far as if we sat on the sled, or would you think it would be better off jus mounting the skis directly to the sled

The reason I did mine that way was to get my fish house off the snow because as soon as you get 6" to 10" of snow there is so much drag that even a 4 wheeler will start to have problems. When there is no snow almost anything will work but when you add snow to the mix everything becomes work. If all else fails find a old Flexible Flyer sled and strap it to that.