• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aluminum boat painting question

jeepguy

Scuff it up good with some 3M pads or sand paper. Be sure to get any areas that are peeling extra cleaned up. Clean the surface to remove dust,oil, etc.., apply aluminum primer, and paint. I like to spray with my gun, but rattle can would work. I have done everything from duck boats to pontoons this way in my shop. Having all the tools for automotive painting sure helped but would not have been necesary

i did the same thing you are trying to do last summer on my 16ft lund. all i did is sand the entire boat, peal the decals of(make sure though to get all the adhesive off), whipe it completely down with laquer thiner and spray the paint. i just bought a cheap $20 spray gun from menards. i was really pleased with the results. paint stuck well

I scrubbed my boat with 3m pads and cleanser. There's no need to bring it down to bare metal. Then after a goooood rinsing, I wash it down with a solution of water and TSP, tri-sodium-phosphate. Rinse again, and after drying, spray on a base coat of flat tan paint. The camo pattern is done next. My #2 son used a handful of cattail leaves as a template and when they got paint laden, he beat them off on the hull in a bunch of splatters. He used olive drab, dark brown, and a little flat black. Be sure to do the inside as well as the outside. High flying waterfowl can look down into the boat.