• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hanson or DTRO, or anyone else for that matter

picksbigwagon

Okay, I need something to keep my mind busy in the tree stand tomorrow so I have a question for ya:

Ice house

modification: I have the small Otter den (26"x54"), I want to put a flat top on it, would I save weight if I used 4' long angle iron shelving stuff (angle iron with holes it it) versus 2x2's? also, how much weight difference would there be in my using 3/4 inch oak faced plywood vs. 1/2 inch oak faced plywood. I plan on staining my wood top, and not use carpeting.

My reasoning for using 3/4 inch is I am not a small guy and I would like to get away with just mounting the seats to the deck lid with those atwood slider in seat mounts and not worrying about breaking another chair ( I currently stand at 26 chairs broken, wicker is not my friend)......

Sorry Picks, can't help much on this one, I've been too lazy to Mod my Otter portable. I finally broke down and bought some Hyfax the other day, other than that I find it hard to find any spare time during the open water season (too busy fishing).

Instead of the angle iron you could go to 1/8"thick 2x2 aluminum angle and drop some of the over all weight and if you are going to just sit on it I would think that 1/2 plywood would hold you. Right now the aluminum is a little spendy at around $32.00 for a 8'peice at menards. I am always trying to use either aluminum or stainless just because of the rust factor. Somethings else for you to think about grin Good luck out on the stand.

If I had lots of time and space, I'd go with 3/8" plywood, and then glue some 1/4" X 1/2" strips on bottom side sorting creating a frame/rib network of reinforcement. It's kind of like the popsicle stick house frame, when built properly it can support enormous amount of weight while be light framed.

Or even go with a 3/8"x5/8" strips frame and use a 3/16" plywood. Maybe 5/16"x3/4" strips?

Jim, I saw what you were talking about tonight, I can get 6' pieces for 18 bucks locally. I will definately go with Al-you-mineeum. I just need time to iron out all the details, not to meniton finish that honey do list.....Maybe by january I will have it up and running. I will be staining the plywood, just because I haven't seen that in a portable modification yet.