• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Darkhouse Spearing Photos Gallery

bassNspear

I guess that I have seen too many 12-18 lb fish go to waste in someones garge that it put a bad taste in my mouth.

I agree, and I don't care what the method of taking the fish is when this happens. It is wrong. It is also wrong to assume that someone is going to do that when we don't actually know them. I hope no one wastes any harvested animals whether it is deer, fish, ducks, or whatever!

I'm wondering if the ability to watch big ones comes from seeing more of them. I think of it like deer hunters who take 4 pointers, then 6, then 8 then start holding out. Having not seen a lot of big pike, I guess I'm not sure what I'll do if I see the 20 pounder. Some of you see a lot of big fish and have become more selective. Fortunately, it's a free country and we all get to make our own decisions. It is O.K. to eat fish. Is it worse to eat tuna caught in nets with dolphins? At least for now, northern pike are not an endangered species (although big ones seem to be getting rarer) and there should be plenty for all especially since most fisherman don't want to eat them. And don't forget, a lot of "released" fish die anyway so I don't think that I'm going to stand in judgement, rather, I offer my congratulations on big fish and admiration of excellent photos of people who share this sport with me.

Nice fish BNS. I also think it's important to consider the body of water when spearing and whether or not you spear the mid-sized hogs. For instance, the lake that BNS was spearing on is a sizeable lake that has a storied history of producing many big fish (my uncle and dad tell me how they and their friends fished it when they were kids). The fact the lake is still producing healthy fish like the one BNS pulled out is a good sign. On the other hand, if you are on a lake less than a couple hundred acres that has some nice pike in it and several people take a few of the big mammas out in a short period of time, that may be detrimental to the population of large pike (and control of the small ones) in that lake.

You're welcome. I was out a few times up in Fish's neck of the woods during the past week. Only saw small ones, but was hoping for some good table fare (now the blue gills and crappies while angling were a different story:).

Fish: Sorry about the cold. Would've liked to stop by one more time, but got caught up with a bunch of other stuff and had a breakfast appointment scheduled in Perham on my trip back. With a big family to see and spend time with, there is only so much time to see everyone when I only make it up a few times a year.

Was hoping to get at least one eater pike with the new spear, but didn't see anything worth sticking. I'll be up in the Perham area the weekend of the 16th and am hoping to do some spearing then.

10,000 Casts: Thanks for the update on fish sizes. I guess to me 1,500 acres is still a sizeable (though not large) lake that can still have the capability to hold a lot of quality fish.

10,000 Cast, i find it interesting that you take the time to come into this forum and look around. Maybe there is some interest in spearing.... smile

Andrusia is a smaller lake but it is connected to a good size body of water Cass, that fish could have came from there, there is no telling where that fish came from.

BnS,

you have always preached about letting the big fish go and taking smaller fish... Why did you decide to take that 15lber?

just curious

First off, i dont sit and preach over and over again about not talking the big fish. There is not reason for me to do that. I think tis right to tkae smaller fish yes, to help the population, but to say that i always say dont take big fish, dude, done put words into my mouth my friend.

Second off, I stuck the fish becuase i didnt want to loose my decoys! The fish came in so fast, that i just grabbed and through the spear, not knowing forsure how big it was. The fish was pickeled and smoked, and i can tell you this, the people that eat the smoke fish for new years, wanted more! smile

I just had dinner with a guy who cooked up an 11.5 pound northern he speared in early December off of lake Kabetogema. It tasted great. During the cold water season, those size fish don't taste much, if any, different than the smaller ones. Boy would I love to get up to that lake sometime.

Lets get back to the topic here and get some photos up!

Anyone else have any new photos out spearing!

Amen.

Thank You B N S.

If you all want to argue, do it in another forum (preferably one I can ignore).

I enjoy this forum without all the drama!!!

Quote:
10,000 Cast, i find it interesting that you take the time to come into this forum and look around. Maybe there is some interest in spearing....

I love spearing, I used to spear alot more when I was in High School and college. My problem is that I don't eat fish... So I have to find someone to give the fish to. And I have to many other hobbies that take up my time and $$$.

Quote:
First off, i dont sit and preach over and over again about not talking the big fish. There is not reason for me to do that. I think tis right to tkae smaller fish yes, to help the population, but to say that i always say dont take big fish, dude, done put words into my mouth my friend.

Second off, I stuck the fish becuase i didnt want to loose my decoys! The fish came in so fast, that i just grabbed and through the spear, not knowing forsure how big it was. The fish was pickeled and smoked, and i can tell you this, the people that eat the smoke fish for new years, wanted more!

I was just curious, I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, it just seems like you are always defending the sport of spearing against all the Muskie guys when they are claiming that spearers take all the big Pike out of the lakes. Nice fish and I knew from your posts here that you would make good use of it, I didn't question that.