Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Charries

Busted up floor

23 posts in this topic

I have a clam 2000 and the floor has several cracks.Is there anyway to fix this type of hard plastic?I was thinking maybe that liquid nails in the cauk tube might work,Any ideas?

It may be possible to heat up the cracks and mold the pieces back together. However, this may be risky and do harm than good. If the house is still usable with the cracks than I probably wouldn't try it but if it is going to be garbage unless it gets fixed then it might be worth a shot. no promises though.

If you haven't lost any shards of plastic, then some super glue should work. Maybe gorilla glue but that stuff foams and expands some when drying. If you are willing to deal with some more work, then I buy one of those cheap plastic rolled sleds from the local Mart and cut a patch that fits in the flooring grooves. Sandwich some glue and put some weight on it till it dries, it should work. If you find some golf club tubing, that can also be cut to shaped for that.

I would try using apoxy. That usually holds pretty good. Not sure how it would handle the extreme weather though

I would sand or rough up the plastic right next to the edges to give the epoxy something to adhere to and use a 2 part epoxy. Make sure to bring it in the house or heated garage 24 hours prior to gluing and leave inside for another 24 to cure.

thx for the replys guys,im still not sure what way to go but i got to try something this weekend because the ice season is close

take a piece of sheet metal (smaller piece) ans drill one ole one both sides of the crack and rivet the piece of metal accross the crack. like a stitch or if you have a problem with two rivets "movin" you can just use a little bigger piece of metal and put 4 holes in ot 2 on one side. i've done it many times and they are srill holding to this day!

My Dad used to use some stuff that came in green sticks almost like hot glue gun sticks. You would heat up the plastic a little bit and then heat up the sticks to melt it and then kind of weld the piece together again. He used it for everything from four wheeler fenders to fixing holes in his pack boots! I don't know what it is or where he got it but it works awesome for the kind of repair you want to do! Anyone know what I'm talking about???

ya i know what you are talking about. used it back in shop class. we laid the piece of round plastic weld in the crack and then heat it up with a torch . i never got it to work that well though.

I used to race motorcycles, and the sportbike racers would have a guy plastic weld the polyethylene or ABS plastic race bodywork that they used on their racebikes. I know Minnesotans race sportbikes up at BIR, so I would bet if you try calling a couple of bigger Jap bike shops, they would know who could do that for you.

Nama that almost sounds like the stuff used to repair the bottoms of downhill skis. You would heat the stuff up a drip it on the spots you want to repair and scrape it level. I used to call it ptex but that was a long time ago but it might be another option.

There is some stuff out there that is called body bond or something that is tuff as nails. Body shops use it for putting thing together instaid of welding, stops some of the warping. It is a two part glue like apoxy. Car parts stores might carry it. We have some at work, the paint dept. uses it on some things.

Maybe a sheet of 1/4 inch or even thinner plywood bolted to the floor to reinforce the whole thing would work too

JB Weld

I used it to fix a crack in the bottom of my fishtrap sled and it worked like a charm.

And I'm pretty sure the plastic for my fishtrap sled is the exact same thing that is used for the floor of your clam.

Duct Tape grin

Call Clam, maybe they will send you a replacement.

You can get JB weld at any hardware store, Menards or Fleet Farm.

Hook'em

I live in North St Paul, if you want to look at the repair job on my fishtrap sled. Just let me know. I might even find half a tube of JB Weld left if I search around the garage.

Plastic Welder by Devcon (got it at local hardware store) It is ment for hard plastics and is waterproof sets up fast and is good for -40 to +200. I just uesd some on my washing machine tub that had a larger crack and sealed it up like new. The fact that it sets up fast makes it eash to repare cracks as you do not have to hold it in place for a long time and will be hard as a rock in 12 hours. Cost 5$

Plastic Welder by Devcon (got it at local hardware store) It is ment for hard plastics and is waterproof sets up fast and is good for -40 to +200. I just uesd some on my washing machine tub that had a larger crack and sealed it up like new. The fact that it sets up fast makes it eash to repare cracks as you do not have to hold it in place for a long time and will be hard as a rock in 12 hours. Cost 5$

Tis is from a previous post about a hole in a sled. Search for downhill ski's.