• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

interior boat lights

fasternu

I want to install some interior courtesy lights in my boat (which has none right now). I was looking at the marine rope lights from Cabela's, 6 footers. I was thinking of putting them along the underside of the top rail on each side of the cockpit (one on each side). Has anybody tried them on their boats, and would they put out enough light for fishing at night? Or, would I be better off just putting in singular lights spaced out around the boat?

I also was reading on the ice fishing forum, and was wondering if those rope lights would be better?

It is definitely something you can do. I wired in 4 sets from that large store found in Rogers and EGF and Owatonna that run around the bow and along the sides of my Dominator. I hid the wiring in the trim channel so it went from one side of the boat to the other and is completely hidden. The lights are totally hidden and are not visible until you turn them on, they provide a very nice downward lighting and work great for seeing things at night. I don't leave them on all the time, I just use them when I need to for tying lines, unhooking fish etc... I did have to replace the 10 amp breaker with a larger one, since four sets would cause it to pop. I believe a 15 or 20 amp did the trick.

I installed the same lights you are talking about in my boat. One set in the bow, one on the stern.

2008_0615_211212.jpg

2008_0618_171539.jpg

I like them. I wish I would have put in one more set along the gunwail. I rarely use them except when I'm trying to tie a knot or land a fish or take a picture, but they work very well.

You can run them off your trolling motor batteries even if you have a 24 volt system.

You need to be sure that you connect them to the positive of one battery and the negative of the same battery, which will give you 12 volts.

marine_man