Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jerkbait

Sharp Shooters Again, WHY???

8 posts in this topic

We hunt in the core of the TB zone and when we brought are deer up to Skime to have them take the samples and get them registered, I asked the gal from the DNR if there are no positive tests for TB are there not going to bring in the sharp shooters. She told me that the sharpshooters are coming back again no matter what the tests come back as. This is relly begining to suck! There is no reason for this if there are no positives for TB. The only reason she gave is because the MN legislature wants the sharp shooters to come back again this winter. SOOO, if there are any legislatures that read this post. This is a crock of you know what!!! There is no reason for this unless there is a positive test which I doubt there will be since all the deer there now filtered in from outside the area. Out of almost 1700 deer shot last winter by the sharp shooters and land owners, only 3 tested positive and only 2 from the 2007 deer season. I realy think the sharp shooters could skip this year and test again next year during deer season. I think when the herd was blasted away in the core area that the TB was blasted away also.

yep, I feel it is a crock too. I hunt that area too. There sure is a lot less deer running around this year. Still see some though. IMO, another year of this and it will take a long time to come back out of this one. It sure sucks that we don't have a say in the matter other than keping them off of our property. what a waste them coming and dumping a pile of feed and then coming in at night and just blasting away and letting the deer go to waste.

Heck, instead of sharpshooters open the season all year until enough deer have been harvested; make some money instead of spending it.

They did that all summer long, until the end of August. Land owner/ tenants or any one that had permission to hunt on private land could shoot deer any hour of the day even at night with lights. My point is I think they have done enough. On another note we can shoot an unlimited amount of deer in that area for an extra $3.50 per tag but can only shoot 1 buck. THAT MAKES A TON OF SENSE!! crazy But they want the deer gone.

Is the testing for TB the only purpose for this practice or are there other reasons such as reducing excessive herd size, etc? Of course, if other motives are to reduce herd size, I'd agree with opening the area to more hunting and/or more liberal limits.

At the very least, the meat should be used and not just wasted.

Bob

Michigan has TB spreading there after they didn't jump on it.

Texas livestock producers spend $200,000,000 on TB each year.

In 2007 the estimated deer population in the MN TB zone was about 850 and they found 4 with TB.

In 2008 the estimated deer population in the MN TB zone was about 920 and they found 8 with suspected TB.

If the TB spreads it will cost MN livestock producers millions.

Michigan has TB spreading there after they didn't jump on it.

Texas livestock producers spend $200,000,000 on TB each year.

In 2007 the estimated deer population in the MN TB zone was about 850 and they found 4 with TB.

In 2008 the estimated deer population in the MN TB zone was about 920 and they found 8 with suspected TB.

If the TB spreads it will cost MN livestock producers millions.

2007 estimated pop 850, sharpshooters shot over 1100 deer.

2008 estimated pop 920, sharpshooters and landowners shot almost 1700 deer.

2007 deer season 3 suspect deer shot by hunters, test positive for TB.

Total deer with TB = 24 to date, out of how many thousands.

2008 deer season as of now NO suspect deer!! Test will finalize. Sooo, might point is if no positives why the shooters and late season again. The livestock farmers in the zone are either being bought out or have to put up a 10' fence. As far as the livestock producers, the TB started from cattle that were brought up from Texas and the deer got it from them. Yes I understand that the rest of the state is suffering also, but if no deer test positive, I don't see the need for sharpshooters!!!