• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crossbow? Gun Season?

deerminator

Lcornice, does the DNR intend to keep allowing crossbows for use during the regular gun season? I was thinking of giving one a shot next year but don't want to drop the $$$ on even a starter model if it would be useless for deer hunting.

Also, before anyone jumps down my throat, I love my bow and plan to continue using it during archery season, but I thought I'd try a crossbow during gun since its allowed now. So let's not make this a debate against crossbows, because I do not feel they should be allowed during archery season so case closed. I'm more about slightly extending my range during gun season in our woods another 15-20 yards without having to use a gun (which I could do legally according to the 500 foot rule but don't feel safe about).

That change came directly from the legislature so it's in statute and can't be changed unless they pursue it. To be honest, I heard nothing last session about reversing the statute so my guess (and it's only a guess) is that it'll remain in effect. I'm also pretty sure the agency doesn't plan on seeking a legislative change. At least I'm not hearing anything.

But, I've been wrong before so take it with a grain of salt. For example, the legislature moved the rifle/shotgun line a couple of years ago and then moved some of it back last year.

Thanks Lcornice. And I've read articles that say you can split bolts consistently at about 50 yards and within once you've got it sighted in the way you want. And then people say, like in this post, that it gives you no more effective range than a bow. Either way, I'd want to shoot one for a bit before I buy to see for myself.

Right now, I don't want to shoot any farther then 30 yards with my bow. A potentially wounded deer just isn't worth it. But if I'd have been able to go out to 50 yards the past few gun seasons (this one not included), I'd have had some shots at some really nice bucks.

I have helped out a guy that shoots one and my Dad has a great cross Bow. Just like harvey Lee said after 30 yards they are done. You can shoot a Bow farther with more ac-rise than a cross Bow. But they are fast for the first 20 yards and then they lose energy really fast. The one good thing about them is you do not have to draw them back and wait for the shot, Just take the safety off and shoot. Less movement for sure with the cross Bow. I would like to shoot a deer with one as well.