• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pulling an Otter Lodge

TheIceFishingKid

I am looking at buying an Otter Lodge, but the only thing I am worried about is pulling it. I do not own a ATV or snowmobile so I have to pull it by hand. Right now I have a suitcase Frabill 4x6' and a small otter sled full of my gear and gas auger. I pull them one behind the other, will I have a problem pulling the Lodge by hand?

If you double pull your suitcase and a sled, pulling a lodge couldn't possibly be much harder. As you know, snow is your enemy. I've pulled an X2 some long distances by hand through snow, it isn't fun, but it is doable.

My dad gave me his otter den last year, looking forward to pulling that on early ice instead of the x2.

I have an Otter Lodge, putting the hyfax runners definitely helps. Pulling on ice, hard pack, or a couple inches of snow is not a problem.

It can be a pretty tough workout in deeper snow, probably not much worse than your current setup.

If I am pulling by hand, I try not to haul much extra weight. It helps to use a longer rope so you can sling it round your body (over shoulder and around waist) when pulling - using a harness used by deer hunters also works well.

Ditto. If you are pulling that kind of load around you shouldn't have a problem. Like already said, soft snow makes it difficult for long hikes.

On early ice one season I have placed my Otter Lodge on a friend's sled contraption he made out of 2x2's and old downhill skis. It was a lot less drag for the long hike we had threw some soft snow on really slick ice.