Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OLY

Wisconsin rifle season

15 posts in this topic

Anyone else going to be hunting? I cant wait!! I have the whole week off and will be hunting everyday with my dad and grandpa. We have 80 acres just south of grantsburg. My grandpa has seen a few nice bucks bow hunting in the last week and a half so hopefully I can get a shot at one of them. I will post pics and results whenever I get back to a computer. Everyone else hunting wisconsin feel free to do the same on this thread.

i will be around the eau claire area. just got permission on some land for gun season, been bow hunting it. seen does and a few smaller bucks most the time out. pretty excited

i will be around the eau claire area. just got permission on some land for gun season, been bow hunting it. seen does and a few smaller bucks most the time out. pretty excited

i was pretty close to going for my first time this year but things didnt work out, next year i hope i can make it

Good luck for you guys this weekened.

Oly- Have you ever hunted the fish lake wildlife area near gantsburg? I have a cousin who hunts there and was thinking of meybe trying out there next year. Is it pretty packed? How are the deer numbers around grantsburg?

Going for my first year.

20th year in a row for me in WI. Hunt by Tomahawk.

Be safe all.

Tim

Our land is about 4 miles south of fish lake wildlife area. I dont know how many people hunt it on the weekends but I have spent some time driving around through there during the week when we are not having much action on our own land and there have never been many people out there hunting. It is a huge area with lots of dirt roads and trails you can drive around on so I am sure you would be able to find a spot during the week for sure. The deer numbers around grantsburg are awesome, but dont expect to see many mature bucks, because the hunting pressure is really high. We have only shot 2 mature bucks off of our land in the last 15 years. Lots of does and young bucks running around thats for sure.

But of course....15 mi south of Eau Claire.

FLnick87 - where abouts near EC are you hunting? Good luck all!

probably not too far from u cooter. You know where the eau claire apple orchard is? Im only a few miles from that. It is shotgun only in that area, correct?

Its rifle - unless there is a county/city ordinance due to the proximity to town. I would think if you're south of Co rd II you'd be fine, but in general unit 59B is rifle. Some good hunting there - I used to bow, turkey, and coyote hunt just south of the orchard....can't remember his last name but first was Doug, maybe Nelson, he has a dairy farm on the corner of Balsam and Maple. Also hunted the old Drinkman farm which is the next farm south on Balsam. Think some guy from MN owns it now. Good hunting there, good luck!

any luck? got a nice doe last night at about 4:30pm.didnt hear nearly the shooting i heard from the morning but it was a good night for me getting my first cheesehead deer

I shot a mature doe at 2:30 on Saturday. Saw a total of 13 deer that day by my stand and one buck running across a field when I left the woods for lunch. This is my first deer with a rifle so it was kind of a special moment for me. It was a good day, especially to see that many deer. Saw three bedded down near my stand when I went out in the morning. Had two fawns come in early at 40 yards. I had three adult does come in less than 10 yards away and just stand there in the morning. Had my rifle up, but I didn't have the heart to shoot. (I know, I know, don't need anyone picking on me now.) By the afternoon I realized the freezer is empty and I am hungry for some fresh venison, so when a group of five came in, I picked the biggest one and let her have it. I'll admit, I'm kinda soft hearted, but it was nice to get this first one under my belt. Got a small buck last year with my bow. That was cool! I'll be back out there this week and weekend trying to get some more meat for the freezer. Saturday was an awesome day to be in the woods!

My Grandpa got this guy, along with two spike bucks all at the same time opening morning, luckily one of them only had 2 inch spikes and we were able to use a doe tag on it. I have never seen 3 bucks together like that before it was kind of strange.

3073640158_8da232ca05.jpg