• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canned Venison

JIGGIN'

Looking for your best and favorite canned venison advice and recipes that would help out a beginner in the canning process. From the research I have done I understand that a pressure canner is key, clean jars and new lids are also a must. And, you must set the pressure at 11 lbs. for 90 min. What experience/advice can you offer someone who has not done this before???

I have so much deer meat in the freezer right now and am always looking for more creative and fun ways to use it in everyday cooking. I love venison!!!

My dad cans a batch or two of venison a year. He does about what you said. Lightly pack in the venison leaving a half inch or head space, water, and a 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Then 10 lbs of pressure for 90 minutes.

We like to add it to a meaty spaghetti sauce with sausage and ground venison. Add the canned meat at the very end as it falls apart if you stirr it much. We also make a quick stew over noodles - peas, carrots, cream of mushroom soup and a jar of meat over some cooked egg noodles - easy and good!

Here's my method.

I use a pressure cooking method for raw pack.

• Cube your meat into 3/4" - 1" cubes.

• Pack into wide mouth quart jars leaving about 1" of head space.

• Drop in one beef bouilion cube.

• Place the lid on the jars and tighten the ring. I preheat the lids in water to soften the seals and wipe the jar rim.

• Place in pressure cooker with enough water to fill the cooker about half full with the jars inside.

• Seal and turn on heat at highest setting.

• Allow steam to escape for about 10 minutes before adding the weight.

• Cook at 10 psi for 90 minutes.

• Take cooker off heat and wait for it to cool.

• Let the jars cool and the seals finish before handling.

Notice, I do not add water to the meat. You'll have plenty of moisture inside when done.

Bob

Edit: My pressure cooker uses a weight to control pressure instead of a valve and gauge. Refer to your own cooker's owners manual for more information.

Good detail here Bob!! And you answered my question about 'additional liquid'. If we ever get moved back into a Managed or Intensive zone, I'd like to try this. It would save freezer space and would be quick and handy for a meal.

What cuts of meat do you generally use? Will it tenderize even the tougher cuts like off the lower leg?

Quote:
What cuts of meat do you generally use?

I would recommend removing most of the silver membrane from the meat as this is very tough and won't cook down. It doesn't have to be perfect but I usually try to remove most of it. I like to use the hind quarters because the muscles are larger and it's easier to get nicer cubes but you can use pretty much any cut.

Quote:
Will it tenderize even the tougher cuts like off the lower leg?

Canned venison literally falls apart. It works great for creating a mock stogganoff mixed with Cr. Mush. and sour cream. It also works very well shredded apart and mixed with your favorite BBQ.

Bob

Yea, just eat it right out of the jar! You can heat it up for lunch at work or eat it cold. I usually can in pint jars so its perfect for a meal or snack.

I use zesty italian dressing (dry) mix in mine. Also you can use tomato juice instead of water.

I've never canned venison but have done beef , goose and duck many times. Friends have always done venison, so if you use beef procedures its the same. Be aware that canned meat in a glass jar does not look very appealling, some people (kids usually) won't even try it- but it takes on a better color when heated and it is sooo goood, you will find yourself hoarding the last few jars. Also, its an easy meal in the summertime when you don't want to run your oven.

The meat goes in raw, only a light salting & a couple of peppercorns is all I use. You can always season it more when heating it. I found that seasoning can get to be too much when canning so I go much lighter than if I'm roasting or frying. If you don't have a pressure cooker it can be canned with a water canner on the stovetop too. You know those big blue things with a rack in them.

I was able to locate a recipe for oven canned venison. I'm not at home at the moment so I'm not able to post all the details at this time. It's a very easy way to can venison. If you would like more info give a post or e-mail me and I'll post it for others to see.

I'd like it, please post. Had to convert to oven canning since buying a glasstop stove(dealer told me not to use big canner anymore-could crack top)so I do my cucumbers/pickels in the oven but no one could give me the times and temp for meat. No hurry and thanks.

You can also hot pack the meat. I usually brown mine in a fry pan or boiling water, then pack the jars.

Also, I belive after reading my Ball canning book, they recommend only canning meat using a pressure cooker, not a water bath procedure.

I have been doing this for years. Well me for about 20, but my Dad grew up doing it and he was born in the 20's. Hes been gone a few years now, but every year when I can I thank him that he took the time to teach me how to do this. Our prosess is about the same as said above, only we use pickling salt instead of table salt. Table salt has iodine and can turn the inside of the jar( and meat) a nasty looking brown. We use it in bbqs, tacos, stew. I've even put it on pizza. Its so good you can mess it up. You just won't want to share it.

Luvsoutdoors,

The wife and I make 50 plus cases of jam each year using our glass top stove. Hundreds of jars are boiled non-stop suring that time. I know there a certain types of pots that souldn't be used on a glass top but you should be able to water bath anything be it empty jars, pickles or whatever without causing damage to your glass top.

Del,

I'm sorry for your concern and wouldn't want to risk your or anyone else's life. I will galdly remove my Oven Canned Venison post.

I've canned a lot of fish, whole grouse, venison, and rabbit. All raw packed and in a pressure cooker. I use non iodized salt and a little pepper most times. You can experiment with adding spices or some hot sauce, liquid smoke, mustard but beware that the meat will have its own juices. Lake MI Steelhead smoked and then canned in oil(moister content reduced because of smoking) is very good. More times then not I eat it right out for the can. The links provided will give you the correct procedure.

Select your jar sizes according to what your canning. A quart of fish or grouse is way too much at once, I'll use pints and even half pints for those.

You cannot use a water bath method for meat because your not getting the temps up to where they need to be.