• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Why The Otter?

Dakota Iceman

Question

I have been reading some of the comparisons on here between the portable shacks. More than a few times i have seen the description that the otter is better when towed behind a machine....is that just a durability issue? or is there something else that factors there...like design,towbar ect... Please advise.

7 answers to this question

The otter is very durable, pulls easier then any other sled, and has the optional tow bar for your sled or wheeler.

You can use it with a canvas or without, and it floats. It also pulls easily by hand with a rope tied to it with all of your gear inside.

PCG

I agree, the Otter is a fine unit, I will be on my third season of heavy use with my cabin. The canvas cover is still in like new condition, it requires a little care, like drying after each use, storing out of direct sunlight, and keeping away from mice during the off season, It has durable zippers with large teeth, and plenty of room for two. I heat mine with a buddy heater, which keeps the holes open and slip bobbers from freezing up, and light it with some LEDs or a propane lantern. The sled is virtually bombproof, by far the best sled on the market today. The aluminum frame will not rust, and is plenty sturdy even in a strong wind. I tow mine mainly by human power, but with the optional hitch, is a great set-up with mechanized transport. The optional cover is also very nice, heavy cordura type nylon with heavy elastic, keeps the gear in and the snow and slush out even in the worst conditions. The whole system sets up in a flash, simply bank in the walls with some snow and ice from drilling the holes and the wind stays out period. I also think the otter is a better set-up dimensionally speaking than the competition, giving you more room up front than comparative sized shacks. You won't go wrong with an Otter!

Because, in my opinion, it's the most universal thing out there! The tub is superior, the shelter/skin is easily taken off with the frame and will last for years, others can vouch for this. I still have my original sled and torchered this thing and it still going after 7 years!

OTTER ALL THE WAY as far as durabilty, ease of movement and comfort are concerned.
The one thing I would recomend is getting your Otter from Canvas Craft as they build their own skins for the Otters and are of much higher quality...plus they're black.
With a few additions like a coule of Butt Bridge seats by T-Bone and some aftermarket lighting, you'll be in great shape.
Don't overlook the "Jigger" by Shoremaster. I saw enough of that unit last winter on LOW to convince me of the fine quality of that unit also. The front and back zippered doors are an awsome set up and the tub is huge and durable !!
I'd say # 1 and # 2 on the market respectively

Tony....Your Butt Bridge has been repaired now and is ready for the 2002/03 season. Too bad it's in Minnesota with your Otter Skin! .......We'll keep it limbered up for ya though...not to worry.........T