• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Golfing Newbie

jt24

Well me and my wife golfed for the first time this year and I think my wife finally found something that she likes to do and something we both can do together. (She doesnt hunt or fish) My question is what is a good starter set of golf clubs for my wife? I am not looking to spend a ton as we both are just starting. Thanks for any info!

jt24, she picked a kinda spendy sport. It is a great game. I would go to a Golf Galaxie and they would have beginer sets. Depending on how into it she will be, getting fitted for clubs is a choice and not that more expensive. She can hit clubs at these stores to get a feel for what feels good to her. There is a used section also. They do not have to be the same brand for each club. I have a mixed variety along with some custom made clubs.

Start out simple with a 3-5-7-9 irons and a sand wedge or pitching wedge. A driver and a 3 wood. Don't forget the putter.

For balls, keep it simple, and inexpensive, as you may go through a few starting out and for that matter all the time,

depending on what course your playing.

G.C.

Another way to go would be getting her a couple of used hy-brids, say 23 and 26 degrees for hitting on the fairway, much easier to hit than irons. a 7 iron to use when she's close to the green and for all chipping. Using a 7 or 8 iron to chip is much easier than hitting a wedge and the objective at her skill level is to get the ball on the green. A Sand wedge, 3 wood and putter.

Good luck and you'll need the patience of a Saint. grin

Are there any course's in Redwood Falls area? I was there this past Saturday and that could be my new favorite area of the State absolutely gorgeous. We hunted Pheasants near the River Bottoms and I was in awe how cool it was. Talk about a Deer, Pheasant, Turkey Hunters Paradise.

I would say get a starter set from from Walmart, Sports Authority, or D i c k s Sporting Good or something similar.

Good Luck!

Any place that sells golf clubs should have a starter set. Its pretty common. They have changed through the years, but most will have a few woods/hybrids, a putter, and then usually the odd number irons. Just buy inexpensive balls at this point, for your swing level, there is no advantage in using more expensive balls. Plus, as mentioned above, you probably will go through quite a few of them at first.

Its a fun, relaxing sport that you can play for a long time. A great way to get outside when the weather is nice.

Good Luck!

CJH

CJH