• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

auger?

CrappieKiller01

The only problem is you are taking off a part that helps to get the ice shavings out of your hole and most of the weight is usually in the motor. If you ever get a chance and see a Nils go over and pick one up and you will be amazed at how light it is and it has a 48" shaft that is all steel.

the nils is nice auger no doubts but until my 22 yr old jiffy dies i am not going to change. only had 4 carb rebuilds and thats it so far. just looking as to what some options may be. thinking of taking that lil bit off could save 4 maybe 5 lbs. and ice shavings not a big deal with slush inhaler.

i personally would not go messing around with the flighting. it (as Slippery said) keeps the hole straight and is a structural support to the auger shaft. not only that, it is there to propel the shavings upward/outward and make it easier to get the auger OUT of the whole once drilled.

a ten inch hole drilled through 2 feet of ice contains about 67 pounds of water (an 8 inch hole contains about 42 pounds of water). if you remove the flighting, more of the shavings will remain in the hole for YOU to lift out (for every hole you drill) Id say you would be INCREASING your net workload if your were to remove the flighting. a spoon auger gets around this because it is flat and slips past the shavings....

You have been mentioning a Nils in many of your recent posts, CK01. When there is a will there is a way.... To this end, I would encourage you to mod your auger thus rendering it dysfunctional. This way you can trick yourself (or the significant other) into purchasing a Nils. (a purchase that, IMHO, you will never regret.)

Jiffy makes all of their augers in short flighted styles too. They do not affect the performance at all, simply to save on money and weight. I would not do this myself as a DIY project just because I why ruin one that is fine.

CrappieKiller01

You can check out the specs HERE but if you want to touch one you might want to get in touch with some one in Hutchinson like Lmitout or another FMer in the area. I would post in your forum and I would bet that some one would meet up with you and let you give a test ride. I am just a little too far unless you are up to a road trip grin

No actual brick and mortar store that I know of but I bought mine from the Outdoor Pro Store. It will take a week or so but I could not be happier with my purchase. If you have any concerns I would not let that slow you down because I have not heard of a single problem unless it was self-inflected.

The motor is the same but maybe some one was talking about the 48" length and the fact that you can get it in a 42" length. The motor is a real solid motor and runs like a champ. I don't know about Reel Fishing Outfitters but if they do check them out and I think that you will like what you see. The other way you can try one in action is go to one of the Get To Gathers and test drive one.

i heard something about a new lil mor epowerfull motor this year or something. seen it one of the posts here. so is there options between motors? i see nothing on there site about it

New Power Head from TANAKA.

TED270PHDF to power all NILSUSA power drills.Slightly larger frame, even more fuel efficient and now with gear case locking lever and it converts into a hand drill, fabulous!

It is fast, it is very fast!

found that on the front page of their HSOforum

I was at Thorne Bros the other day and I saw an auger, cant remeber if it was SM or a Jiffy, but the flights were like a lightweight plastic or something, It didnt seem like it took too much weigh off but it looked like a good idea.

If your really looking to take off the weight, try the 18V drill w/ attachment to an auger shaft.

i think it would be more of a pain to remember batteries everytime you went out though. and especially when on wants to move around alot and search for new structure. just cant see the cordless drill popping 100's of holes in one day on one charge.

I can't see me popping 100's of holes in a day! sick I call that drilling holes, not fishing. crazy

when i go out it is usually with two or 3 other buddies. i have hole drilling duty while others check for structure with either cameras or flasher. found an old tractor down in 8ft of water one time. was awesome crappie holding structure. we start are fishing at 6 am and usually end at ten at night. trying to target all fish throughout the day. and staying on top of them. last year we had 3 lakes figured out completely. any given time of the day we could go out and know exactly where the walleyes were sitting in the middle of the day or crappies.

I was at Thorne Bros the other day and I saw an auger, cant remeber if it was SM or a Jiffy, but the flights were like a lightweight plastic or something, It didnt seem like it took too much weigh off but it looked like a good idea.

If your really looking to take off the weight, try the 18V drill w/ attachment to an auger shaft.

The auger with the plastic flights is the StrikeMaster StrikeLite.