• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice saw's

lovetheice

Jigging55 they are cutting more blades today after making the changes I told them to do with the holes for the pins. Also I might be picking up the spear heads! My butt is dragging today being it was 3:45 AM when I got to bed and up at 6:15 again. I can’t pick the stuff up till 6 tonight. So I’ll be another late night again. Send me your email addy.

I used mine all year last season... there was over 2' by the end. I just drill more holes and connect the dots with the saw. It will cut if you drill holes on diagonals and cut from there, but I'm lazy and don't like to work up a sweat.

I have always wondered about the Ice Saws, Thanks for all the info!!! BUT, I like to pull my block out of the hole and not push it under like some do. I have a real nice set of Tongs but my concern is pulling a 30+ inch block of ice out of a hole with straight edges. You would need to almost lift the block straight up before it will leave the hole. I have used a chainsaw once before and it was that way. I guess that is what I am basing my theory on. Although I hated the chainsaw method due to it leaving the oily residue in the hole. So the main question is - How hard is it to pull a thick block of ice????

if you drill holes around most of the perimeter, and then cut between them with the saw, it's no problem at all. If you drill holes in the corners and cut between them with the saw, the block does tend to bind a little bit with thick ice.

I have always wondered about the Ice Saws, Thanks for all the info!!! BUT, I like to pull my block out of the hole and not push it under like some do. I have a real nice set of Tongs but my concern is pulling a 30+ inch block of ice out of a hole with straight edges. You would need to almost lift the block straight up before it will leave the hole. I have used a chainsaw once before and it was that way. I guess that is what I am basing my theory on. Although I hated the chainsaw method due to it leaving the oily residue in the hole. So the main question is - How hard is it to pull a thick block of ice????

I made a cool tool over the weekend. I took 2 pieces of 1/2 X 12" black pipe and drilled a single hole in the center of each one. I then attcached a threaded hook in each of the holes in the pipes. I connected the two pipes with a heavy piece of 5 foot chain linked together at the hooks. I than capped the ends of the threaded pipe with screw on caps and drilled one small hole in one of the caps on each pipe and attached another smaller eye hook in each hole.I connected these two eye hooks with a piece of 6' rope. I just drill a hole off to one side of my ice block and drop one end of the pipe down the hole and slide the block out of the hole. If the ice is thicker you could angle one side of your saw cut to create a ramp to help slide your block out. Once the block is out of the hole in rest on the end caps of the pipe helping it keep from freezing down. When you are done just slide the block back into the hole and pull up on the rope to guide the pipe back up through the hole. It works pretty slick and you dont need any ice tongs.

________

' |

' |

' |

' |

' |

' |

' |

' |

___|___|

Looks something like this.