Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lovetheice

Ice saw's

47 posts in this topic

Can I get some feed back on if it is worth buying one. What are the good and the bad thing about the saw from those who have? thanks

They are worth buying. I have a Fish's ice saw and it works well.

The 3 options, that I know of, for cutting a hole are using a chisel (slow and a lot of work), an ice saw (still some work, but faster than a chisel, plus compact, lightweight, and low maintenance), or a chainsaw (more $, more maintenance, carrying gas, ice chips and water sprayed instead of sawdust).

The ice saw seems like the best option. This is just my opinion and I only have 1 year of spearing experience so take this with "a garin of salt".

Can I get some feed back on if it is worth buying one. What are the good and the bad thing about the saw from those who have? thanks

There is no reason NOT TO HAVE ONE!

The nice thing about it is that you are going to save life time on the auger. The blades get so beat up, and augers take a beating when it comes to cutting holes. Cutting it with a hand saw from Fish Toys is so simple and takes less time then a auger.

What i really like about it is that when you cut the hole with a Ice saw, you are going to have straight lines. If you cut it with a auger, you are going to have points that are going to be coming towards the hole. Beileve it or not, them points, might make it of break it when it comes to getting the fish.

I believe there is no reason not to have a Fish Toys Ice Saw!

I got by without one for many years, then I baught one last year. It just makes it easier and quicker to cut the hole. Theres less shavings to clean up and you have a nice square hole. I wish I would have gotten one a long time ago.

its worth every penny that you spend and you wont be dissapointed at all

Ditto on what’s been said. smilegrin

The prices on the HSOforum will be increased on Dec 1st. My costs have gone up and shipping has gotten horrendous. I split my cost so the price still could be affordable to most people. Be careful on the ice even with these cold temps.

hey fish toy can you post were a person can get one near brainerd?

thanks,

mr

Hey Fish&Fowl,

How much ice in Borderland?

Well I'm down in Crookston for school so I can't give exact numbers, but I've heard of guys walking out on from shore 1-200 yards in protected bays and across smaller bays. Now we have to hope the snow holds off until after we get some cold weather again.

Meat-Run Being I’m a sponsor of this forum and posting guide lines I don’t think I can tell you of a store? But I did ship some to a store west of Brainerd and they should have them tomorrow.

Other wise www.icesaws.com

thanks for all the info, Fish Toys I ordered one just now thanks again Tim

BnS I replied with a long one.

Lovetheice if the order gets to me by tomorrow morning it’ll be on the way. smile

Hey fish: Here's what I was talking about for the teasers this passed weekend. Just ordered one similar to this one: [Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

These things are feaking amazing. I've used chippers, chain saws with ice chains, and none of them compair to an Ice Saw. My wife bought it for my birthday late last Feb and I never got a chance to get out and use it. This past week I got out. It blew me away how easy it was, and quiet...hee hee. Hands down these are the best thing since sex!

Fish,

Here is the jelly belly version of the ice saw video. grin

I know your straping young buck version with B&S is comming out soon, but hopefully this will tide you over until the full video comes out.

I think there is a way to flip this video 90 Deg but for now be careful you may get a sore neck.

That was 5 inches of ice but on a lake that didn't have any holes cut into it yet. (That is why it looked like I was not to comfortable out there lol)

thats not a bad video, if you didnt have to watch it sideways!

Merkman

I see a few problems with the way you are using the Icesaw. It looks like you should have had ice cleats on?

When you are chipping have the Icesaw at about a 45 degree angle in front of you with the teeth facing you. The Icesaw doesn’t chip very well almost straight up and down. I could tell you were a little shocked nervous cutting with it. I know when you have used it before it went a LOT smoother. But otherwise it’s a good vid. Thanks. Did you set the house up and do any fishing?

I will try out your tips.

I did make it out there today to do some fishing.

I had an appt at 3PM today and it was noon by the time I finished recovering after all the company from the weekend but I wanted to go swim the big decoy today.

Yesterday I was nervous to get out on that lake since I had never been on it before. I went out a ways testing with the ice saw as I went. I was out about as far as I wanted to get so I asked my brother if he could film a quick movie. I started chipping with the ice saw and the ice cracked right toward my feet eek so I had to relocate there for a min. grin I guess I am a little too cautious at times but I would rather be safe than wet. Plus with my dumb luck I figured I would be dying from hypothermia while my brother was spending his $10,000 and you all were laughing your butts off at me on America's Funnies Home Videos. grin

Today I went out further but I was still nervous. There were no tracks on the ice from the dusting of snow we got last night so I thought I was one of the first ones out there. I got my hole cut and my house set up over it and this guy comes walking out of the landing not checking the ice thickness at all, he walked right past where I was set up and put some tip ups out another 300 feet from my house. A little later he got a flag and went running across the ice without a care in the world. It is very comforting to me when someone else is out further than me testing the ice. :-)

BnS I replied with a long one.

Lovetheice if the order gets to me by tomorrow morning it’ll be on the way. smile

I got it friday before going hunting and can'twait to try it, thanks