• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mille Lacs- State Record

TheHawgTrough

As far as I'm concerned the state record is in the Mississippi River and I'm about to go catch it. I'll bring some pictures back for you all in a couple of hours. wink

But seriously I did see a fish 2 years ago that was easily 40+ pounds, could've been bigger. 2 years of decent eating and a late fall catch could put that fish close.

Quote:
I sit here wondering if I would have the heart to keep it. I use to say that I would

if i was in a position to go ashore and lift her out quick a few times i'd do that. but getting her in my boat and doing it i know i wouldn't. otherwise it's pics in the water at boatside with a piece of 4X4 cedar for reference, cut the hook a wave good bye. after a good measurement. maybe i should up-size my live well, huh? little cut here and there and it's wider,... hmmm. nope. unless she's dead she goes free for me. always a bad chance she bleeds. if you want those bigger mississippi muskies you gotta go BIG on your lure. and a pounder aint BIG wink ... and yes, she's in there too.

What you really need is for one of those 57-58 inch fish (and they are in there) to obtain the girth found on some of the mid-50 inch fish. A true freak of nature, something that beats the record by pounds, not ounces.

I'll also submit that I think the pursuit and anticipation of the record interests me more than the events that will unfold once that fish is caught.

As stated on another site, it's "the fishery that allows them "to beat their chest", not the other way around."

(JS, TNB 10/7). I don't look forward to the internet hoopla and full page adds from rod and bait companies featuring the record (probably dead) fish, while promoting a crappy rod (remember Joe did it for his Grandfather) nor the crowds that will swarm whatever honey hole that fish is plucked from. I hope that when the record officially falls it end up being a good thing for the fishery as a whole.

And I'm not a total pessimist, I hope I'm the one to catch it and watch it swim away!

10k - doesn't take heart to keep it, takes heart to let her go!