• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Multiple dogs

Citori

I don't own a pointer and flusher but I have a pointer and have hunted him with flushing dogs. It's only been a handful of times so I wouldn't say I have too much experience with it. Is there a specific question about doing this or are you just trying to see how common it is?

I have 2 GPS's and have hunted with flushers. I normally prefer not to do it as most flushers dont honor my dogs points. Thats not to say there arent any out there that do honor points, when they do it can be alot of fun.

I just dont like that I have to put alot of trust in somebody elses dogs.

My 2 dogs work well enough together I dont see the need for a flusher. Pointing, retrieving and tracking downed birds isnt an issue for me.

My lab has only hunted with other labs. When I had the chance to get her out with a friends GSP I hesitated because I didn't know how she would handle it. I was also thinking of eventually getting a pointer and thinking of how training would go with these both of these dogs. I have always had labs, but had a blast hunting behind a GSP.

I own both and will work them together but the pointer must be solid and I mean solid on birds. If he has the tendancy to creep a flushing dog in the picture will make him start busting his birds. I would never do it with a young pointer only older more experienced dogs! But yes it can be done!

We do it all the time and works out great for us. I run two labs and he runs his two GSP's. His dogs work out much farther and don't bump birds at all. The labs work very close to me and get the retrieving and flushing duties most of the time. As wierd as it sounds, when my labs hear the hawk scream when the the pointers point, they know to get over there for some action! Has worked great for pheasants, huns, and sharpies.

I have a 3 year old lab. Close working and does very well with other labs hunting. I'm just wondering if she will start to range out if there is another dog with her doing that. Any suggestions or other problems anyone else can see happening. Would it be better to work them alone until the pointer matures a little?