• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer hunting as it should (could) be

DaveT

Minnesota is not like those other states!! The land here is broken up into smaller parcells and recieves high hunting pressure. Also alot of it is done on public land. Public land is a good thing but qdm just doesnt work there. Also there arent outfitters with huge blocks of managed land here.

Most hunters her are hunters for the tradition, time with family and friends,and meat. A big buck is a bonus.

There are big bucks willing for those who work. But it wull never be like t.v.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point being made has nothing to do with whether or not a person is willing to work for a great buck to harvest while hunting, it has to do with the quality of the buck herd.

Do you really think that QDM is the main reason for these other states excellent quality buck population? The herds are in the shape they are in because of the reasons explained earlier gun season timing, no party hunting, buck requirements, etc. Ther's nothing more head scratching than hunting ones home state for many, many hours on stand and seeing 1-3 mature bucks and then driving 2.5 hours(literally 2.5 hours) and seeing 10-15 mature bucks in less amount of time on stand. All of this in generally the same type of terrain, cover, etc. Explain that? Is it just because MN is so congested with foilage or the terrain is such that we just don't see these bucks but they are actually there? I think not!

Are you serious? If all it takes is "a little work boys" as you say, then depending on how old you are, you must be adding on to the house all the time with the addition of each years new mount...or aren't you willing to put out "a little work" every year?

If you don't like to hunt in MN, that's fine. That will just allow us who love it here more opportunities. I love MN deer hunting, there are huge bucks here, it just takes a little work boys. It just makes it that much sweeter when you do get one, not to sound like a jack A** but go ahead and leave the state to hunt, bye, bye!

I think its interesting that the early wisconsin deer numbers report 22% decline thats worse than minnesota. All states have there swings this was probably just a bad year for some and a great for other we always have cycles. I'm going to have to agree with putting in alittle work into it and theres always big deer out there!

Once again, from what I'm reading, that's not the point at all! It has nothing to do with the deer harvest, a states good or bad year, etc. It's about mature bucks or lack there of...I read someone's post earlier that said some people just don't get it...that was the best post on this subject! At least try and stay on point people!

Wow.. what a great topic, I read through 6 pages and gave up (not a big reader, sorry 7-9), all really good points from both "sides" if there are sides. But from my own expirence... there are great bucks in minnesota, in fact one made me throw up 2 years ago while I was driving back from a bow hunt, this particular deer came out of the property I was hunting, which added to the sickness, 15 yards from the truck (real vomit, had to open the door), It was shot during ML season, had to have been the same deer, scored 198" and change, very close to being a typical......But, we do not see the numbers of big deer in this state that other states do, this is not a solid fact that I know for sure, but i got 3 buddies that hunt every year in Iowa, Wis., and IL, all private (not hunting ranches or anything thats managed, just farmland that they have perm to hunt), and they consistently see bucks in the 130's, they talk about 130's like we see basket 6's and 8's in MN.....Question for all??? Where are all these big bucks being shot, even in other states??? Private land!!!!!! Buffalo cty Wis... couldnt hardly find a piece of public land worth huntin if your life depened on it, its hard to accept, but private land doesnt have the pressure public stuff does( everyone knows this but), even if that land owner grants permission to everyone. Its possible, but its much more rare to see good bucks on public stuff...Think about guys, SE MN has big deer, very big deer, and there are some good WMA's in that area, but where do the real pigs get taken in that country- private, take a look at the lesner buck this year..I dont know guys, I may get attacked about my views on public land, but if you at least see,, or take "good deer" on public stuff every year, u are a very very good hunter.. and you got my props.. Ive tried hard, and I just dont have it... I see much bigger deer on the 60 (private) acres SW MN river bottom that I hunt much less than I do the public stuff in the mid-north very consitently..have fun, hunt hard, hard, GO MN!

Originally Posted By: Big Dave2

You can still sit out on stand with a camera. Do you need to sit out there and shoot the deer for someone else? What fun is it for the other hunters in your party if you shoot 3 bucks and they don't shoot any? Is that fair to them? Those people are somewhat happy cause they get some meat, but if hunting is about getting out and doing it ourselves, then you shouldn't be allowed to shoot someone else's deer for them.

Nobody is comparing it to canned TV hunts, but there are places nearby that hunting is like what you see on TV. Wouldn't that be nice. [/quote']

I thought it was all about the hunt, not the killing? If that's the case then what fun would it be for me to shoot a deer on opening morning when I am going to be at deer camp for a week? Do I just go home? I don't think I would have very much motivation to sit in a stand with just a camera when it is 10 degrees outside.

In my opinion I think it would be a mistake to start messing with these regulations such as antler size and party hunting just to please trophy hunters. The DNR is trying to entice more people into the dying sport, not keep people away.

I would say that if it is all about the trophy, wouldn't it mean more if it were a once in a lifetime type thing? I don't expect to catch a 10 lb walleye every time I go out. If I did it would no longer be that exciting anyway. Why should we expect to shoot a 12 pointer every year.

There are big bucks in MN, work hard and maybe youll get a crack at one. Thats all true, but like DaveT originally said, its not near what it COULD be.

For all of you who havent been out of state..... you just have no idea. You think in other states mature bucks are easy and no challenge. Thats rediculous. Its such an amazing experience to see big mature deer acting like big mature deer, and in daylight!

Even in a place where 140 inch bucks are running all over.... you dont just whack them all down.... the bar rises. But what an amazing and fun opportunity to see those deer out on their feet on a regular basis!

Even from a nonhunter point of view. My mother has gotten more and more into deer and antlers over the years that Ive been so into it. She a shed hunter and is always pushing for people to pass on those little baby bucks. This year my 60 year old mother wants to drive up to Saskatchewan with me just so she can SEE big bucks running around in the daytime. In her 60 YEARS in MN, living in the country, shes never gotten the pleasure of viewing a large antlered buck just out and about acting normal. How sad is that?!?!

Now I know comparing Mn to Sask. is apples to oranges, but my point is someday I hope the young people in this state can experience these things, not just have the attitude that this is as good as it gets. It can be GREAT we just have to have some integrity and disipline to make it that way!

Are you serious? If all it takes is "a little work boys" as you say, then depending on how old you are, you must be adding on to the house all the time with the addition of each years new mount...or aren't you willing to put out "a little work" every year?

So like I thought most guys are out there for status and a trophy room.Yes I have mounted a few deer because one was my fist with a bow and 2nd was the best we shot on our property at the time and I was young.Both p/y deer but I was not trying for antlers my dad talked me in to mounting the one and the first I shot was just because it was my first bow kill buck.Now since then if I get a good buck just cut off the antlers or give them to friends cabins.I'm out there to be with my friends and family not because something has to go on the wall.Go out of state and pay for you monster buck if that is why you hunt.I use venison all year can not eat the horns.Small buck,big buck or doe it's on the grill.

So you say that it's about the hunt, not the killing...I agree! So in your scenerio, if you have a shot opportunity on opening morning and you have the one tag to use (no party hunting) then you won't feel bad about letting it walk as you have all week to hunt and you don't want to tag out early because there will be no motivation to stay on stand. Remembering that you said it's all about the hunt, doesn't that strike you as a hair contradictory? I feel sorry for anyone that needs more motivation for being on stand than just seeing nature "happen" in the woods, fields, swamps, etc. Here's a scenerio, I probably get to bowhunt 60 days or so in a long season and I get one buck tag, if I shoot a buck early on, I'm done. So do I just skip going hunting the first 40 days knowing that I will have to probably pass on many deer hoping to shoot something bigger and also extending my season? To answer, No, because I enjoy the heck out of being there and seeing these deer. Remember, it's about the hunt, not the killing!

I have never and I would assume, will never consider myself a trophy hunter and this arguement, in my opinion, has not much to do with pleasing these "trophy hunters", it's about the management of the states deer herd.

Barnez, great point about being proud of your state, but once again, that's not even close to the point being discussed here!

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke

You can still sit out on stand with a camera. Do you need to sit out there and shoot the deer for someone else? What fun is it for the other hunters in your party if you shoot 3 bucks and they don't shoot any? Is that fair to them? Those people are somewhat happy cause they get some meat, but if hunting is about getting out and doing it ourselves, then you shouldn't be allowed to shoot someone else's deer for them.

Nobody is comparing it to canned TV hunts, but there are places nearby that hunting is like what you see on TV. Wouldn't that be nice.

I thought it was all about the hunt, not the killing? If that's the case then what fun would it be for me to shoot a deer on opening morning when I am going to be at deer camp for a week? Do I just go home? I don't think I would have very much motivation to sit in a stand with just a camera when it is 10 degrees outside.

In my opinion I think it would be a mistake to start messing with these regulations such as antler size and party hunting just to please trophy hunters. The DNR is trying to entice more people into the dying sport, not keep people away.

I would say that if it is all about the trophy, wouldn't it mean more if it were a once in a lifetime type thing? I don't expect to catch a 10 lb walleye every time I go out. If I did it would no longer be that exciting anyway. Why should we expect to shoot a 12 pointer every year. [/quote']

wapiti I am staying on point with numbers. if you dont have the numbers you can have selective harvest and get those big bucks people wont know if they are going to see another deer so they will shoot whatever it is regardless. I think we have to look at the numbers too. its an important part of managing the herd

wapiti I am staying on point with numbers. if you dont have the numbers you can have selective harvest and get those big bucks people wont know if they are going to see another deer so they will shoot whatever it is regardless. I think we have to look at the numbers too. its an important part of managing the herd

hh, i agree that overall herd numbers are important...pretty hard to have mature deer if you have no deer! But there are many variables involved with a state's harvest numbers for a particular year. Do lower harvest numbers for a state mean it has more/less mature bucks than the state it's being compared to?

So you say that it's about the hunt, not the killing...I agree! So in your scenerio, if you have a shot opportunity on opening morning and you have the one tag to use (no party hunting) then you won't feel bad about letting it walk as you have all week to hunt and you don't want to tag out early because there will be no motivation to stay on stand. Remembering that you said it's all about the hunt, doesn't that strike you as a hair contradictory? I feel sorry for anyone that needs more motivation for being on stand than just seeing nature "happen" in the woods, fields, swamps, etc. Here's a scenerio, I probably get to bowhunt 60 days or so in a long season and I get one buck tag, if I shoot a buck early on, I'm done. So do I just skip going hunting the first 40 days knowing that I will have to probably pass on many deer hoping to shoot something bigger and also extending my season? To answer, No, because I enjoy the heck out of being there and seeing these deer. Remember, it's about the hunt, not the killing!

I have never and I would assume, will never consider myself a trophy hunter and this arguement, in my opinion, has not much to do with pleasing these "trophy hunters", it's about the management of the states deer herd.

Barnez, great point about being proud of your state, but once again, that's not even close to the point being discussed here!

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke

I would say that if it is all about the trophy, wouldn't it mean more if it were a once in a lifetime type thing? I don't expect to catch a 10 lb walleye every time I go out. If I did it would no longer be that exciting anyway. Why should we expect to shoot a 12 pointer every year. [/quote']

First of all I hunt for meat. I could care less about the horns. A huge buck would be nice but our group hunts as a group to gather meat for the freezer. That is OUR philosophy, I'm not saying it has to be yours.

But if I were a trophy hunter and I saw one of those huge deer on opening morning that you say do not exist in minnesota like other states then how could you turn down a perfect broadside shot at a 170 class deer. If there are so few of them around you better not pass it up because the chances are you will not get another shot at one EVER, let alone this year.

Just curious, how many times have you sat in a deer stand during rifle season without a gun in your hand? If I just want to see "nature happen" I will go out on a lot warmer day and do that. Not in early december which is when rifle season would be if you guys had your way about changing the season to be after the rut is over. You can feel sorry for me all you want but it would be too darn cold for me! crazy

Originally Posted By: Wapiti

First of all I hunt for meat. I could care less about the horns. A huge buck would be nice but our group hunts as a group to gather meat for the freezer. That is OUR philosophy, I'm not saying it has to be yours.

But if I were a trophy hunter and I saw one of those huge deer on opening morning that you say do not exist in minnesota like other states then how could you turn down a perfect broadside shot at a 170 class deer. If there are so few of them around you better not pass it up because the chances are you will not get another shot at one EVER, let alone this year.

Just curious, how many times have you sat in a deer stand during rifle season without a gun in your hand? If I just want to see "nature happen" I will go out on a lot warmer day and do that. Not in early december which is when rifle season would be if you guys had your way about changing the season to be after the rut is over. You can feel sorry for me all you want but it would be too darn cold for me! crazy

I hunt for meat as well, we will go through 3+ deer this year...all of those 3 deer in the freezer as of now are does. I still have a buck tag available because I chose not to shoot one of the bucks I have had a chance to shoot this year so to answer your question, I haven't had to sit in my stand without my gun because of that choice(s) i made earlier. I do still have venison though don't I? I would shoot that 170 on opening morning and know that I had a great "hunt", albeit too short for my liking but that's the way things worked out...why is it that people couldn't be satisfied with that? Is it knowing that because you are not out in the stand after you've tagged out, that your party might not get their limit without your help?

Hey, I can't help that throphy hunters and shed hunters are not finding what their after. As I said on earlier posts I have no problem finding big deer in Minnesota. Maybe I'm lucky Maybe I'm good, but I put alot of time in scouting. I do see Monster bucks out there during scouting, sometimes they are not there during Deer season. Deer in Minnesota are just smarter then anywhere else,which creates a challenge, that some people just cant handle. The terrian is different up here with acres and acres of thick woods, huge swamps,which they are most likely laying down until night comes. I dont have any problem with trophy hunters at all,but I do know they all like it the easy way!

Hey, I can't help that throphy hunters and shed hunters are not finding what their after. As I said on earlier posts I have no problem finding big deer in Minnesota. Maybe I'm lucky Maybe I'm good, but I put alot of time in scouting. I do see Monster bucks out there during scouting, sometimes they are not there during Deer season. Deer in Minnesota are just smarter then anywhere else,which creates a challenge, that some people just cant handle. The terrian is different up here with acres and acres of thick woods, huge swamps,which they are most likely laying down until night comes. I dont have any problem with trophy hunters at all,but I do know they all like it the easy way!

Now deer in MN have been deemed "smarter" than other whitetail deer that reside in other states? Wow, that's a scientific breakthrough! Great rebuttal! Oh my goodness!

I would shoot that 170 on opening morning and know that I had a great "hunt", albeit too short for my liking but that's the way things worked out...why is it that people couldn't be satisfied with that? Is it knowing that because you are not out in the stand after you've tagged out, that your party might not get their limit without your help?

They say deer in other states are just walking during the day in open feilds. Makes me wonder why they only do that here before and after gun season, it tells me that they are just a little smarter during the season. Smart a--

For you meat hunters. Let's say we just went to antler restrictions.

Again, after one year there are essentially the same number of deer available to be shot. And now instead of a 110 pound forkhorn, you get to shoot a 175 pound 8 pointer. You can still throw the rack away after you clean your deer and you still get more meat out of the deal.

How can you lose??

Big Dave2, just so you understand that is exactly what happens in many other states. I went on a week long trip to WY to hunt Mule deer, our actual hunt started on a Wednesday, we were planning to hunt as late as Saturday. We started walking from our wheelers I think around 7:15 & I shot a nice buck at 7:30, my hunt was over. I could go out & help spot deer, do pushes, etc., but I could not carry a rifle. I still had a great trip. I was the camp xxxx, let's just say worker for the rest of the trip, but you can imagine the actual terms used.

I don't think that alone is a huge reason to not have party hunting. If you have a spot that's so good you're always filling your tag opening morning & couldn't hunt once your tag was full, you could sit with the hunter in your party you like the most in your stand & they could shoot the next one.

I'm not necessarily advocating the no party hunting thing, although I wouldn't really be opposed to it either. I'm just saying that's a very common practice used by other states & people seem to be very happy with it.