• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Young Birds

Went out yesterday from 1 - 4:30 and was able to get 2 JR Roosters. I hit 4 wma and only ran into 5 birds the whole time I was out 3 JR roosters and 2 hens. Thinking the numbers are way down from last year but their still is standing corn up making it easy, plus last year I was able to get out alot more. South Metro

We got out yesterday and ran into about 40 birds (20 of which were roosters) all of which were on public land, shot 3 and should have had a limit for three of us. One of the roosters was very young, tail feathers were not complete and still had some brown feathers on the belly. Kind of late for those young birds to still be around, but the late corn really gives them a place to hide.

I spoke with a neighbor the other day that hunted some public land S of Alexandria, not sure where, that stated they had never seen that many birds on public before, ever. He did say the farmers were combining some nearby crops so that probaly had a lot to do with it. Other than when I ran into a few roosters S of Litchfield a few weeks ago it was one of the rare instances where I've heard favorable reports.

Assuming that "south of Alex" was Pope Co., we do still have some corn in even still. Not like last week, but there's still a bit. Birds seen on public lands are going up though as a result of the field activity and I'd agree, there's still the odd young rooster harvested w/ plenty of brown remaining.

I guess I was more going towards how hard the spring was on the hatch, and that there was a late hatch as well. Or my outing was chance to run into 3 JR roosters. But as stated the numbers are down overall, still some good hunting to be had.