• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gas vs. Diesel

lookingforluck

I'd like to add my 2 cents if its ok. First a quick over view of diesel and gas motors. Diesels run off of compresion which is to say they compress the diesel in the cylinder to a point that the diesel ignites. As you can imagine this is a source of great heat and pressure. The reason for glow plugs is to give a cold diesel motor a little blast of heat at its initial start. Gas motors use spark plugs to ignite the gas each time the motor fires.The reason gas motors start easier is because of the spark plug fireing each time.which way is easier to start a camp fire? With a match (GAS MOTOR) or by rubbing two sticks together(DIESEL MOTOR)?

OK I know most of you already knew this.

So with that all said. In my opinion Diesels are great engines that are disigned to run at hi temp for extended periods of time. I beleave it is hard on a diesel motor to start it up,run it a little, then shut it down. A Diesels block and head temps run hotter then gas engines. The reason it takes so long to "warm" a diesel up is because of the large coolant capacity they require. Bottom line for short runs or cold winter temp a gas is(IMO) a better choice. Diesel is more expenceive as well diesel trucks them selves are more expenceive,plus diesel trucks tend to be heavier since the motors are a little heavier than gas and for the most part you can only get them in 3/4 ton and bigger. With all that said I would buy a gas truck. I will say this however, there is nothing better than the sound of a Diesel motor grin

They are/were having issues with headgaskets blowing out, as well as some injector issues. Also even though I am a duramax owner, I belive the 03-early 04 duramax had some injector issues also.

grinEven though I am partial to diesels, well said. Another thing to keep in mind is that the cost of oil changes, and fuel filters is going to be higher than a gas engine. But many people run them longer between oil changes, than you would a gas engine. How long to run them between services is a sepreate issue.

05 Chevy Duramax 3/4 Ton owner here. I love my diesel, just don't love the diesel price, but my friends who have the Chevy Gassers are not getting anywhere near the mileage I get. I own a 34' double slide travel trailer and need the pull power, that is why I own what I own, but love it none the less. Great truck!

Had an 02 Ford 7.3. Bought an 08 V-10 last spring. With the prices the way they are, the gas engine is about 25% cheaper to run. The only thing I dont like about the new one is the mileage could be better than the 12-13 I get. But even at that, it is cheaper than a diesel to run. I loved my 7.3, if it would have been a crew cab I would still own it. It is really hard to justify the additional cost of diesel.

I am looking at an 2003 Ford F250 Super Duty Automatic Turbo 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4, Long Bed with 136K right now, I can get it for 10k, good or bad deal?

We had that engine in an 03 F450 and didn't have any problems with it with the exception that for one, the mileage Suc**d.

Picklefarmer has some great points, and I completely forgot about the weight issue and the fact that you will be driving on the ice. So once again; why the big push for diesel? It sounds like you are more interested in a cab/box layout that will pull a fishhouse (not a loaded cattle trailer) than a truck with an engine that is capable if pulling a ridiculous amount of weight. If that is the case find the layout you want, find the lowest mileage, and then find the lowest price and start test driving. I for one would rather pay $2.00/gal than $3.00/gal if I can avoid it. The days of them being the same price (or even remotely close) are a long way off. My old man drives an '02 Dodge 3500 duallie diesel, and he is about ready to sell it because he doesn't have the farming needs anymore (sold off the herd).

Originally Posted By: landscaper
anyone run the new ford 6.4??

My old man has one as is very disgusted with the Milage 14mpg at best! He has even tried chipping it. 4wanderingeyes will chime in with a push for the 6.4!

So it seems in the last 10 years or so the manufacturers were more concerned about emmissions and power then fuel economy in diesels. This goes across the board on all model trucks. Now I am only going to compare the Fords, since those are the ones I know best. The best Ford diesel and would be my first choice if I was looking now would be the 2003 f350 7.3, back to 01, 2nd choise, the 08-09 f350 6.4, then in decsending order the 6.0 from 07 back to my last choice of a 03 f350 with the 6.0.

Not a big push for the 6.4 wink. You can expect anywhere from 8-17 mpg with the 6.4

I'm kind of surprised that the original poster's question did not get a response about the weight of a diesel truck compared to a gas truck. I have an '01 Dodge with the Cummins engine and while is has lots of power, the thing is HEAVY! Unloaded, it wieghs over 8,000 lbs and makes me more than a bit cautious driving on the ice. For general purpose use, a 1/2 ton gas powered truck makes much more sense. It will accomplish any towing task related to fishing, is quite a bit lighter, and overall will cost less to operate.

Well I have the new Ford 6.4 and I like it I get 17 to 22 mph

The old 6.0 had 2 problems that I have heard of first they had Head problems and I guess the turbos were leaking coolant in to the oil witch is not a good thing. And once that happens the motor in my book is pretty well shot so be very carfull buying a truck with the 6.0 and if you do buy it try to find out as much as you can what repairs its had.

Ok, so what is your guys opinion on the best GAS engine that I would be able to find in a crew cab with a long box and have enough guts to pull a 3-4000# wheelhouse? Or any that I should for sure stay away from? Usually a GM guy but do not really care at this point!

Thanks, LFL

my opinion is if you want to take off like the bat out of heck in the cold get a gas. if not diesel. i own a 2002 dodge 2500 cummins. gets around 22-25mpg highway and also 14-17 towing up to 12,000. diesles are so much easier to get better mileage and power out of. currently going on 280,000 miles on mine and only had to replace one injector pump so far. no issues with transmission or motor. just do your regular maintanence changes and your good. also had a cold weather start of -40 with windchill of -57 on URL and no issues. just sounds lil ruff when it first starts. if it is gas motor you want the GM 6.0 is awesome

I have an Chevy ext. cab short box and it weighs in at just under 7000 pounds with a fiberglass topper. I've had the 5.3 and the 6.0L gasser but was tired of the crummy mileage. The 6.0L was horrible and I've heard from a quite a few people that said they wished they just went to the 8.1L as it didn't get much worse mileage than the 6.0L and had a ton more power to boot. That was a few years ago of course when the 8.1L was still available.

I'm waiting for Chevrolet to come out with the smaller Duramax for the 1/2 tons that they were working on, but don't see that happening very soon with the economic condition of GM and the rest of them. That would be a fantastic combo of power and mileage with the 1/2 ton size and ride.

I would have no qualms about getting another diesel even with the price of diesel compared to unleaded right now. There is a little more maintenance with a diesel and you have to watch what fuel you have in your tank when it gets colder to make sure you don't gel up. I've never had that happen (knock on wood) but I'm careful of what pump I pull up to.

You will just have to run the numbers to see if the extra up-front cost of the truck and the long term expense of the higher priced fuel is worth it to you. I grew up on a farm and was around diesels all my life so that may be why I prefer the diesel over the gas.

I am looking at an 2003 Ford F250 Super Duty Automatic Turbo 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4, Long Bed with 136K right now, I can get it for 10k, good or bad deal?

Do not buy a 6.0, i am a ford guy at heart and i own a f-350 but i made sure i bought one with the 7.3l in it, that engine is absolutly bullet proof, the truck will fall apart around the engine, the 6.0 isn't all bad but there are some problem childs out there and you don't want to buy a problem child.

as far as gas vs diesel, i love my stroker but if i was just going to drive it in the winter i wouldn't own it, i had it out on mille lacs two winters ago when it was like -20 and i was almost stranded, it took me about 20 min to get it started and if i didn't have top of the line interstates in there i wouldn't have had enough battery power to keep trying to turn it over, plus you always have to warm it up before you drive it and short trips here and there are bad for the truck, plus the wieght is horrible, when everybody else is driving on a foot of ice i have to walk out cause i'm not comfortable on anything less than 20" with my truck. just my two cents

I went from a gas F-150 to a F-250 7.3L diesel...love the power, ride, etc..

But, in the winter, my mileage drops considerably. A lot depends on the wind too though. Tail winds are very nice.

My truck sat on LOW last year in -25 low temps for 4 days and it started just fine on the 4th day. It really helps to cycle the glow plugs a few times before firing the starter. I wouldn't give up my diesel.

Anybody else have the an idea for the best GAS motor to look for? Or thoughts on the gas vs. diesel debate?

Thanks, LFL

My moneys with the 5.4 ford in the F-250. I have owned chevy in the past and if your pulling, unless you got an allison trany you might as well forget it. Now with that said I have not owned a chevy model later than 98.They may have made improvements since then but I had 2 chevys that the trany went out at or before 100,000 miles.Both had chevy and not allison tranys. I've heard only good stuff about allison trany so if your a chevy guy there you go.Never have I owned a ford that the trany went out. MY vote 2004 or newer F 150 or f 250 with a 5.4. I own a short box 2000 f 150 and its great. 125,000 miles and still going strong. And I've pulled alot with this truck with no problems. I did have a ball joint go out on me but I think thats due to the way I drive. I get my moneys worth if you know what I meen laugh

I went from years of having a 1/2 ton chev. to a duramax.

I love the power and have nothing bad to say about mileage.

Mine is an 01 and has had some injector problems that chev took care of. I have 190,000 on it and plan on putting that much more on it.

Sifty