• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gas vs. Diesel

lookingforluck

Hellno all!!! Looking to get a truck to primarily use in the use in the winter for ice fishing and pulling the wheelhouse. Will also be used other parts of the year but not at much. I know I am going to get crew cab and long box (to fit the wheeler). I have never owned diesel but I would like to have more power to pull larger loads. Any pros/cons would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, LFL

If your not going to use the Truck a whole lot and a wheel house, 4-wheeler, and boat are the most you are going to pull I would stick with gas. They warm up better in the winter, gas is almost $1 a gallon cheaper then diesel right now, and the equivilant truck is going to cost you thousands more with a Diesel engine over gas. Diesel's get better milage, have more power than 1 probably needs, are a little noisier, and definitly more cold blooded. Also diesel engines weigh quite a bit more than gas engines which can be a concern when driving on ice.

Now all that being said I own a Duramax diesel and love but if I was to buy a new truck today it would probably be the 6.0l chevy with the Alison transmission.

Define "Wheelhouse." If it is a standard run of the mill 3,000 lb wheelhouse or less, get a gas engine. The discrepency between the price/gallon of gas and diesel ($1.00+)and the upcharge to get a diesel engine will NEVER overcome the savings in mileage. If you were planning on pulling gooseneck cattle trailers to the stockyards it might be a different story. You can get a great V8 gas engine 4x4 domestic that will do the job for a very reasonable price right now. If you are planning on ice fishing primarily, look into synthetic oil for ease of starting on ice and a sturdy locking topper.

My durmax has started as low as -30 but it was really stiff. I have had problems with ice in fuel filter that is a pain in the rear. But right now the cost trade off it about the same in my opinion so go with gas. Chevy 6.0 has lots of snort but it will only get about 12-14 MPG. The duramax will get around 17 on average. You need to be pulling a lot to make a diesel be a good option in my opinion. I myself probably will not be getting another diesel.

Skip the 03 04 Ford 6.0. '05 and newer is good to go. I JUST went through this exact same dilemma. I ended up getting an '07 F150, but could have gotten an 05/06 F250/350 for the same price. The price on the diesels are way down right now, but the gas trucks have gone up in price about $1500-2000 in the last 3-4 months with gas prices tanking.

OK, that is kind of generic about the problems but I guess constructive none the less. So what truck in the 10K range should I look for?

Thanks, LFL

I could get into detail, but I dont have all day to tell you why not to buy one, and I dont want to bash a good company!

ok, I have a 1989 suburban with a lift, 35" Mud terrains, super clean no rust truck from MO that I love, just does not pull my wheelhouse like I would like with the big tires and lift, so that is why I am thinking about going with a newer truck that is stock to get better pulling.

BTW, thanks everyone for helping me out. So many trucks out there for sale right now, just looking for something to better suit my needs.

If the list is that long on the 6.0 fords then I prob. do not want one.

Being a previous ford owner stay away from the 6.0, 6.4 diesels. If you go the ford route, get a 7.3. I just sold a 99 F250 extened cab, with 150,00 miles for $9000.00, to give you a ball park on prices. My last 2 trucks have been diesels, and I would have a hard time going back to a gas. The diesel has more power, better mileage, and they last. Its not uncommon to see diesels with 200,000 + trouble free miles.

Another thing, is the duramax is alot quieter than the 7.3.

****Real trucks don't use sparkplugs***