• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone used the 4 cycle Strikemaster?

NELS-BELLS

Used it all last season. I love how its so light! It cuts like a hot knife through butta! Only issue I had was that the actual auger bit broke. Its made out of plastic. THe bit got stuck in about a foot of ice. When I managed to free it, pieces broke off into the hole. Strikemaster did not replace it frown

The only experience I have with the Strike Lite 4 stroke was in the store the other day. First off, on sale the price was, well lets just say I will go with Nils first wink. Then I picked it up and compared it to the Express (weight wise) and I can not seem to feel a difference between the two.

I have heard good things about the Robin engine, but things like stated above have moved me away from the Strike Lite. Man, I hate to sound like a broken record, but if you are in the market for a “good” auger, go with the Nils.

For those who doubt or have not seen the Nils in action, come to some of the HSO/FM/IL get to togethers and I will bet my bottom dollar their will be at least 2-3 Nils at the event and I never heard of an owner refusing anyone a test hole or two.

I have used one for the last 2 years. Broke the plastic each year when the ice was 24" +. Stikemaster replaced the 1st one with a new plastic one and would have replaced the 2nd one with the same or the regular metal shaft, which is what I took. Added some weight but still a great auger. GREAT customer service, they even paid for return shipping on the bad shafts,

I've used a strikelite for 2 seasons and really like it. Before for that I had a 2 stroke strikemaster lazer mag for about 8 yrs, until it was stolen. Both start, run, and cut holes well.

The pro's for the strikelite are that it's lighter, quieter, and less fumes than a 2 stroke, plus no mixing gas.

The con's are it's more $ and the plastic auger can break.

I used my strikelite for 2 seasons and then broke 2 augers in the last 2 weeks of icefishing (thick ice) last year. Strikemaster gave me a new plastic auger and then a new metal auger. No questions asked.

I have said it on here before, my dad used mine and bought his own the next week, and our cousin has seen it in use and wants one. We borrowed it to someone once on the lake that couldn't get their auger started, and they said they were going to buy one. YES- it is that nice.

I've run the StrikeLite for a couple seasons now and I plan to run one again this winter.

For one, the over all weight is very convenient when punching a ton of holes. Less strain on your body and it makes peppering an area a lot easier then with other augers.

Two, the fuel-efficiency is second to none. I get darn near twice as many holes out of my StrikeLite then I do a 2-stroke auger. AND, no need to worry about mixing gas and oil. When I top my truck off on the water to the lake I also top off the auger... good to go!

The speed of the auger is comparable to most as well, so you're not skimping on speed to sacrifice for other features.

The low exhaust makes it easy to use in drop-downs and permanents too.

Over all, I would have to say that the StrikeLite is my favorite auger. After you punch you're first hole you'll realize just how light it is and how much fun it actually is to cut holes through the ice smile

Great Rig. If you treat it the way its suppose to be ran, its a great auger. all you need to remember is to lift up and clean out the shavings a few times as your drilling the hole, and the plastic will not break. take care of it and you will enjoy it. and always a plus.... strikemaster will always treat you right!!!

I really didn't like the fact that it is dead slow (50rpm)and oil leaks out when you lay it down or drains on top of the piston and creates a hydraulic lock not to mention plastic shaft, never again!

I went back to 2 stroke engine, AMS synthetic oil 75:1, no smoke, no leaks!

There is a sticker that tells you which way to lay it down, if you don't it is your own fault oil leaks out. As far as speed, I have never noticed that it is all that slow, besides I am out to drill a hole and fish, not win the Auger 500.

Well that is your opinion, I don't spend my time on ice drilling with a dead slow auger, I spend my time fishing. I didn't realize when I bought it that oil would actually leak out the way it did. I think that is a manufacturing defect.

I ran one last year and really liked it. I didn't have a problem with the plastic flighting, but I hand tow, so it didn't get banged around much. The thing purrrrs when idle and it cuts as quick as my friend's Jiffy STX. I've never tried a Nils, but I love my strike lite.

I have never leaked a drop of oil out of mine, you might have a bad unit. But there is a sticker that says "THIS SIDE UP" and I have heard if you lay it down wrong, there is a risk of oil leaks. If yours is leaking other than that, call Strikemaster, they have some of the best customer service in the industry and they will help you out. Aside from broken flighting, that is the first complaint I have ever heard about it

I did call strikemaster and I was told that it will leak if it is not laying down "this side up". I was also told that this engine will only leak during cold weather?? DUH! It is supposed to be an ice auger! Granted it runs nice but not nice enough for me to spend big bucks for a leaky and dead slow auger. So it is gone and I am happy with my 2 stroke auger. THINK ICE!!

Yeah, I've used a friend's Strikelite and I was totally impressed with it. Only problem we had was it worked horribly in warm sticky slush snow. That stuff sticks to the ring and at times that ring hangs up on the hole sides causing it to spin around in circles. It's been the fastest hole cutting powered drill I've used without any added pressure. The trick was really to let it cut the hole itself and it works wonderful everytime. With little kids running around, I think it has the most safe of blade head.

Congrats on your new auger!

(I'm sitting next to the new Big Buddy and green hose that my wife got me for Xmas. grin)

Try spraying Pam on the auger. That seemed to help keep slush from building up on the auger.

I have a question. It is ok to put the old metal drill onto that motor?

I have a old lazer mag and the drill is tip top, but the motor is getting up there in age. I did see that a couple people said they had put a metal drill on it and I was wondering how it worked out. Maybe I should just get the strikelite powerhead?