• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

This boy came around the corner last week

Breaker

My kids were excited too. I had my wife get them from school to come see the deer. All 3 of them hunted with me at points of the season.

I have lurked for years(on and off)-just never had anything to add.

100_0143.jpg

Yes, there is definitely a story that day.

I was lucky in 3 ways.

1)The buck-obviously the deer of a lifetime.

We have always done a lot of deer drives and walking. The last few years we have started doing more sitting-as we have some of the best hunting around and we got sick of chasing deer to everybody else.

I got him on an 80 that I have-most of the corn was still standing as was most of the corn around the area.

I had a bug in my ear to take advantage of the standing corn and hunt that field this year-as when the corn is not there-not so good.

I sat on the ground -Saturday morning eveneing and Sunday eveneing.

Sunday afternoon-we decided to move a portable stand to the area (a fateful decision in more ways than one.)

I sat in there Sunday eveneing and a little buck came out-I let him walk-however if the kids had been with-I might have shot him.

Monday night-sat there for a little while-Nada.

Tuesday Morning-I was going to sit until 7:30 or 7:35. He came around the corner-almost exactly 7:30. I remember thinking :That is a really big deer." He looked like an elk coming. I saw him about 125 yards away and I shot him at 63 paces. He was stopped facing me.

Somebody asked me what I was aiming for-I said "Brown"-really I think I was aiming for the white spot on his chest. Shotgun-Sabot slugs-iron sights.

He dropped instantly-I think I want through his mouth and severed the spine in the neck.

2) I am lucky to be alive. I got a little too excited and missed a step on the way down-I fell a ways (with a loaded gun-not good). I laid there for a while and figured out I was still alive.

3) I am lucky to be able to walk-I landed on my lower back on the hitch for the stand. I have a nasty bruise and X-rays show 3 hairline cracks in a vertebra.

As I laid there for awhile-I seriously thought-I am paralyzed-but at least I got a really nice deer first.

It was a real relief-when I tried to move my legs and I could.

4) The deer-He is a monster and the photos do not do him justice-I was unaware of trophy photo protocol-ie turn his head sideways.

We did very little measurement-but others measured him with a greater than 20-inch inside spread.

His mass is something special. There is a lot of antler there. In town-most commented on his big antler bases.

He looked like an elk in the back of the pickup. People followed me that saw him sticking up.

I would love to have myself on tape from that day. I was not thinking clearly-Adrenaline from the deer and shock from the fall-I should not have been driving.

That mass is amazing, he is I don't think he is going to have a problem making the Boone and Crocket books, the only thing that would get him might be the deductions. Awesome deer man, Heck of a story to boot. Glad to hear that you are OK after your fall.