• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting Organized for Winter Pannies

Scott M

Parts of my life are organized. My hamper has dirty launder; my sock drawer is partitioned into work, dress, and wool socks; my hunting gear is separated into Rubbermaid totes that rotate into the prime garage space as the season arises; etc. You get the idea.

That being said, I'm no perfect OCD fisherman with a place for everything and everything in its place. I try to put things away and stay organized, but its always a work in progress. Get new things and you need new storage space. Get back late and maybe you forget to put things away.

One place I'm always looking for better solutions is tackle storage. My Christmas list is ripe with tackle storage ideas. My muskie stuff is in a gargantuan hanging box, my cranks and plugs are in hanging boxes, my live bait rigging stuff is in a nice soft-sided bag. But my bass stuff is a mess. I have a freakin' plastic bag that I toted things around in this summer. It got the job done but it was not efficient, and well, it just looks silly. So for now, bass is my weak link. Hopefully there are a few worm wraps and hard case binders under the tree this holiday season.

One place I've thankfully not been a slacker is keeping the ice fishing stuff organized. You can never have enough rod cases. I have a bunch, but have found Ready Rig Rod Cases work as well as anything and aren't too hard on the wallet.

IcePro-Plus-175h.jpg

With all the money you spend on jigs, there is no sense just throwing them in a box and letting them bounce off each other when you're driving down the road or across the lake, chipping paint off and making them worthless. You need something that will keep them handy, visible, and chip-free. Tackle Pouches are the way to go.

Tackle_Pouch_B-239x328.jpg

Where I really got organized was in keeping all those tiny jigs handy. With the same logic of not wanting chipped paint and rusty hooks, I bucked up a couple years ago and got a Rose Creek Polar Box. Probably one of the best decisions I've made. Since the first box I've added a couple more, and I'm actually hoping to nab another one before January gets here.

1004001vo9.jpg

Keeping those jigs handy and organized saves you time, protects your investment, and keeps everything at your fingertips.

Still, I'm always looking for new ideas. How do you stay organized for winter panfish? What equipment or tricks do you like?

I saw them at one gander mountain, but the only place I've consistently seen them was at Thorne Brothers. Might as well get in there and check things out when you are anywhere near Fridley. Awesome rods, the best jig selection I've seen, very knowledgeable staff. Matt Johnson will get you set up with some great panfishing accessories.

When those RC boxes are closed, what are the approximate dimensions? Are they all blue in color, or many different colors?

I don't have mine in front of me, but I think when closed they are 6" x4" or so.

They have 3-4 different colors at least, maybe more. Green, Gray, Blue, Tan, ? Call Thorne Bros. or order them online. They'll know the exact specs, plus be able to tell you how many jigs they'll hold. I can't remember anymore.

Here is another option for holding your ice flies that is made by Scientific Anglers / C & F Design. It has a waterproof seal and is almost indestructible. You might have to go over the the Fly Fishing shop at Thorne Brothers to find it. The size is around 5x8 closed and it will hold around 175 flies. This is the model CF3555.

IMG_3783pp.jpg

IMG_3785pp.jpg

IMG_3786pp.jpg

I just went back a page and looked at DC's picture again and noticed that all his jigs are hook up...and I have all of mine in hook-down. I'll try the hook-up approach and see if I have better luck keeping my jigs in their new home.

I had the same thing. It works much better this way, and I can get the jigs out much easier.

Glad I am not the only one... They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Perfect...then that's what I'll do when I get home--go flip all of my jigs over. And a picture is indeed worth a thousand words.

And I too am glad that I wasn't the only one that had this "brain fart." It's nice to know I'm in good company.

Besides, it's not really a mistake if you learn from it.