• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Selecting a Rifle Scope for an Elk Hunt

Scott M

Going to be two miles up in Colorado right around this time next year and in between then and now, I plan to:

1) save some money grin

2) increase my cardiovascular fitness grin

3) put a better scope on my rifle

So my question is, what recommendations do you have for an elk hunter as far as scopes? What features do you value most? What questions should I be asking about the scopes? What do I not know to ask that I should be asking?

Thanks for taking the time to help.

I've hunted elk several times, and I personally use a Luepold Vari X II, 3 x 9.

You can go with bigger magnification, but I chose to keep the three power on the low end as we are in timber quite a bit. There are spots where i could shoot a long way, but the three elk I have got have been at 150 yards, 110 yards, and 30 feet, LOL. I have almost never cranked up the magnfication while hunting. The one time I did is when I got the 30 yard shot - I was lucky to find the animal in my scope that time.

Go with the best you can afford - Luepold, Burris, Swarovski, etc. Don't forget that if you go with a big high power unit, you'll be lugging it around with you the whole day. Big objective ends look cool, and may help some in low light, but a good quality glass should do that anyway.

I'd pretty much agree with Gissert. My bull was shot at 165 yards and I'd say where we hunted 200 would have been about max in most places although there was one valley I could have shot to 300 yards if for some reason I needed to. I too have a vari X II 3*9*40 but I wish I had a Nikon Monarch on there instead. Good glass is essential. I don't know that you'd ever need more power for big game than a 9 power on the top end. You aren't shooting prairie dogs at 400 yards, an elk is a big target and not hard to see, same with a deer. I'd really stick close to that 3*9*40 size range. A 50 mm objective lens would be nice though too. Elk tend to move right before dark and extra light is nice...

I'm certain you will get plenty of suggestions on this one...I'm a fan of all Nikon products. It's all I own and have had great results with them. I've got a Monarch 3*9*40 on my .300...Never hunted elk with it, but I bought my .300 topped with the Monarch, in hopes of heading Elk hunting SOON. The place I bought my firearm and scope...All suggested the same scope.

As far as preferences on what I look for...I'm in favor of light transmission.

I think all your higher end scopes (with a given price range) are nearly the same...some have minor plus and minuses either way, but are very suitable for your more than average hunter. I think this is your classic example of..."You get what you pay for"

Good Luck in your search

I bought a VX3 3.5X10 for my .300 WSM this year and it was fantastic. Shot my bull at 160 yards...which really means nothing as all scopes will do that, but I really liked it.

Oh, and coming from someone who has been there....change your order of priorities....cardiovascular should be #1. Really.

I hope you have a fantastic time...I did.