• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Back in business

BigRoy

I have been following this forum for awhile and have decided to get back into spearing again thanks to all of you. I have had a couple of spear houses and have been out probably 10 times or so. The problem is that I am still a “spear virgin”. I have thrown the spear several times but have never been able to connect. After my last outing three years ago and missing yet another decent pike I got frustrated and returned to tip up fishing with my quick strike rigs. I sold all of my spearing stuff and gave it up. I have decided to give it one last try and bought my fish saw (sold my first) and a new spear. I will be heading over to fleet farm for my red/white and gold 10” decoys soon. I am going to try spearing out of my pop up blind with a couple of moving blankets thrown on top.If it works out I will purchase another canvas craft house ( first one was an 8x8-stupid to sell that one)next year.

I love sitting in the house watching the big water TV but got frustrated with my misses, this will be the year!!!

BigRoy, when you say that you missed quite often what was your technique for throwing the spear? Did you set the tines in the water first. We need some more info from you, so we can help you stick some.

Congrats Big Roy!!!

That is good to hear.

I will give you some advice... of course that is easier to say than to do.

First try to set up in about 6 FOW starting out.

Then comes the hard part.

The biggest thing you have to do is; stay calm when the fish comes in. (once again easier to say than to do)

At first only spear straight down. If the fish is not in the right place don't throw the spear wait for him to get where you want him.

Once the fish is totally in the hole, very gently lower the entire spear head under the water.

Then just let go of the spear (if you have a lighter spear you may have to give it a little more of a push) But don't over do the throwing of the spear.

If you are still missing fish, post your frustrations here we may be able to help you out, or go to the get to gators and sit in with others to see how they do it. Go to you tube and watch the spearing videos there. See what the people who missed did wrong, and what the people who connected did right.

And the biggest thing is… don’t get frustrated for missing a fish. I will guarantee you everyone who has speared has missed a fish a time or two.

Some other general tips are if the fish are coming in 100 mph and you are using live bait you may want to switch to decoys only.

If you are using decoys and they are still coming in fast... you may want to try less movement with your decoys or a decoy of a different color or shape that gets the fish interested in your decoy but not sure enough that they can crush it with out investigating it first.

I still remember my first pike, it was a dandy. She came flying in at 100mph and grabbed my sucker and tried swimming away with it. I remember hollering "what do i do". Grandpa calmly said, "pull your sucker back". So i checked my emotions, and gently pulled the string back. I'm still surprised just how dumb fish can be when they're hungry. The pike hung on to that lil' sucker just long enough for me to set the tines in the water and throw the spear.

My point is, spearing a fish is a rush unlike that of any other. I can't remember my first walleye, nor my first fish I ever caught. I don't remember my first pheasant or duck. I do however remember that first pike i ever speared. Its a memory I hope to pass on. Its simply beautiful.

My misses have come from fish on the sides of the hole, dont think I ever had one directly below me. I do place the tines in the water prior to throwing, maybe I need to get more of the head in the water to help judge refraction. As far as my throwing I usually throw it as hard as I can thought being that I know how fast pike can be. Can the pike see the motion of the tines entering the water from above them?

welcome back into the sport. Your going to fall in love with it as im sure you did before.

As far as the motion of the tins, the only way they are going to know somethign is up is if you throw it down before you put it in the water. They can not see it coming unless you throw it before you put it down a aways.

Always put the spear in the water before you throw it down!

My misses have come from fish on the sides of the hole, dont think I ever had one directly below me. I do place the tines in the water prior to throwing, maybe I need to get more of the head in the water to help judge refraction. As far as my throwing I usually throw it as hard as I can thought being that I know how fast pike can be. Can the pike see the motion of the tines entering the water from above them?

Check these links out

briholum from YouTube shows it best.

How to spear a fish

How not to