Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
7outof10

lights on when fishing ???

32 posts in this topic

dose any one ever turn off there lights when they are ice fishing at night or turn them down because they think the fish do not like the light when you are fishing shallow lakes with really clean thin ice ...... a friend told me to try this i was just wondering if any one elss dose this

When I am on a very clear water lake I like to keep them dim if I am fishing shallower then 18 feet cause to me they seem spookier but when I am on a more fertile lake like Red or LOTW I keep them on and keep it bright. It seems like the zoo plankton is will be more active which in turn keeps the smaller fish and game fish more active and in the feeding mood.

Ive had some ROCKIN good nights fishing 5 inches of clear ice with the lantern on. I think it was drawing in "bugs" and the fish followed.

I've fished with some old buddies in their ice house with all the lights on and the cd player blaring! and it was was one crappie after another!

I frequently fish a very clear lake at night usually in 16-20 feet. I guess I'll have to try it with the lights dimmed. I really had never thought of it as a negative.

For me it's all situational, shallow water eye fishing it's no lights, no noise just stealth mode. If I'm targeting crappies or fish in deeper water 14fow or more then I'll turn the lights on, for me with the crappies I seem to have better luck with the lights on at night, walleyes out deep haven't noticed a difference either way.

I frequently fish a very clear lake at night usually in 16-20 feet. I guess I'll have to try it with the lights dimmed. I really had never thought of it as a negative.

With walleyes I think that they will not be as aggressive on a clear water lake but with panfish I think that light will bring them around which gives you better odds on getting them to bite.

I've fished both ways on a very clear lake and it's hard to tell the differnce for me. I've had good fishing both ways and as others have said; I also get a lot of bugs swimming into my hole attracted to the lights

I've heard stories about an old lantern trick, where you drill a hole, but not completely through the ice, and set a lantern in the hole. Apparently it attracted fish?

That's what some old time fellas tell me anyway. I've never done it, and don't really plan on it.

Fish bite when the sun is up, I don't think it bothers them.

yes but the sun lights up the hole lake not one little spot with a pice of bate siting in the middle of it wiggling lol

yes but the sun lights up the hole lake not one little spot with a pice of bate siting in the middle of it wiggling lol

I forgot the intellectual side of fish.

so lets see here Team otter .... no lights ..... but yes to motor running ? ..... lol jk

don't dough the fish sometimes i swear they are smarter then me .....well i don't think that says much ....

don't dough the fish sometimes i swear they are smarter then me .....well i don't think that says much ....

I don't think fish test at genius level, if they aren't biting its not because of some alterior motive, it is because they aren't hungry, the presentation isn't right and so on and so fourth. I know probably 99% of people that fish with lights on have success. Sorry I forgot to add something, if they don't have success, it isn't because of lights

Last winter fishing on round lake with one 48cm BH k lights on i could see a good distance with my under water camera.The lights are so bright we were amazed.

I think if theres a lot of snow on the ice light coming down the hole can turn them off them in day or night. if theres still bear spots on the ice early in the season a lantern on the ice at night can help.IMO.

As someone else said after 18' it wont matter. RR

I've heard of that trick also. The light actually lights the ice like a fiber optic cable and lights a huge area of the ice which spreads light down below. but place the lantern on a block of wood or if thick enough ice put a stick through the handle and hang in in the hole. Remember, the ice will melt pretty fast if using a gas lantern and the hole will fill up with water.

Keep them lights running! There are some lakes we run a downhole light at night for crappie and wipers.Works the year round. grin

Rope,

You might not want to communicate that. I believe thats illegal in MN.

Rope,

You might not want to communicate that. I believe thats illegal in MN.

But he lives in Kansas wink

Here is what I know......Bright lights attract fish. That is why dropping a light down a fishhole is considered "baiting", and illegal in MN. But with a bright LED or lantern over your hole or on early clear ice, I would keep them as bright as you can stand.

I have also heard of the lantern trick and have tried it. Worked well for perch the one time that i did try it. So there may be some truth to it or it may have been a coincidence.