• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Losin a good friend

wsanders

Tomorrow at 5:15 pm my vet is coming over to put my lab of 13 and half years to sleep.Henry has been around longer than my boys 9 and 12 and its going to be a tough day for our whole family. He has lived in our house his whole life, which my wife demanded when I told her 14 years ago, shortly after we married, that I had to get a chocolate lab to hunt with and to have around when we raised our kids as I had when I was a kid.I couldn't have picked a finer dog if I tried and everyone that has ever crossed paths with Henry will agree. He may not have been the greatest hunting dog in the world, he won no field trials, at the game fair in Anoka a couple of times he humored the crowd with some of his shannigans when I let him loose in events when I knew it wasn't going to be pretty. hehunted with me in South Dakota many times and always found the dead birds and proudly brought them back to me.But to me my wife and two boys,Henry will always be remembered as the gentle 90 lb lab that always welcomed us home with a excited look on his face and a tail wagging so fast that I always said his tail muscles were the strongest muscles on his body. WE will miss you Henry. Henry XXXII, registered.

Whelped April 7, 1995.

Nothing to say that will make you feel better. Its a huge bummer of being a pet owner but you wouldn't trade the last 13 plus years in for not having to see tomorrow come. Take care and peaceful rest to Henry!

I'll repeat what lawdog said. nothing we can say the will help. I lost my Shorthair to the highway in April. He was 10. That was a VERY difficult day at my house. all I can say is cherish the memories, he'll be waiting at the "rainbow bridge" when you get there. if someone has that, can you post it?? I have it printed out and it still sits on Jakes chair with his collar and his remains. Comfort your wife and your kids, they probably won't take it as hard as you, but it helps to talk to them about your buddy!! Good luck, god speed Henry!!

Sorry to hear of Henry's passing. Hold the memories of him in your heart and he will never leave your side. It's a tough responsibility we as pet owners take on the day we bring that frollicking pup home! We know our days together are numbered and yet.... there are few things in the world we'd cherish more than the days of watching our buddy do what he was bred to do. It never softens the blow, but in time, we can smile when no one is watching and let out chuckle when we are at a place only the tow of you shared.

Give Henry a tussle on the head for me... tell your wife and kids we are all there with you!

All Hail Henry the 17th!!!

Godspeed big man!

Good Luck!

Ken

Here is something that I got from my vet on that day. It will be a tough one! Don't be sad that he is gone, be happy that he was there. Take care././Jimbo

There is a bridge connecting heaven and earth. It is called the “Rainbow Bridge” because of its many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills, and valleys with lush green grass.

When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. The old and frail animals are young again. Those who are maimed are made whole again. They play all day with each other.

There is only one thing missing. They are not with their special person who loved them so much on earth. So, each day they run and play until the day comes when one suddenly stops playing and looks up. The nose twitches. The ears are up. The eyes are staring. And this one suddenly runs from the group.

You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet, you take him or her into your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again and again and again and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting pet.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together never again to be separated.

Sorry for your loss wsanders, I went threw the same thing last month, Hardest thing I have ever had to do and like the others said, nothing anyone can say will make it easier, only time.

Henry sounds like the chocolate version of my black lab Magnum. Take care.

My favorite quote :

"A dog does not live as long as a man and this natural law is the font of many tears. If a boy and a pup might grow to manhood and doghood together, and together grow old, and so in due course die, full measure of heartache might be avoided. But the world is not so ordered, and dogs will die and men will weep for them as long as there are dogs and men."------Ben Ames William from Wingshooters Autumn.

True words and pure tears. My sympathy to you and yours.

it is now 5:11 pm. I'm hoping and praying for your family that you are at peace and enjoying your last moments with you buddy. I hope you're remembering the countless good times he's given you and the love he has given to you and your family unconditionally. It's almost time. I've been thinging about Henry and your family for the last couple hours, hoping that you are at peace. You know you're making the correct decision, but it doesn't get any easier. Good luck to all of you through this difficult time. It's now 5:15. My heart goes out to you all. God bless you and your buddy, take care, again, god speed to Henry.

Its done. The vet left my house, I and my wife took Henry to a pet creamation service near my house and when we get his ashes back he will be spread at "the point" where he swam hundreds of times. He died in peace and although today is a very sad day, tomorrow and for the rest of my life I will always treasure Henry and what he gave to me and my family.

Wayne

P.S. thanks for all the replies, they did make me feel better.

It's good to have a positive outlook like you have Wayne, it sure helps to remember all the good times.

I know a lot of people usually wait awhile before getting a new pup after something like this happens but are you at least thinking of getting one down the road? It's always great with a new pup tearing up the house. You'll have another 12+ years of great memories.

Once again, your family is in my thoughts and prayers. I cant put it into words how much my dog means to me. My last dog hurt more to lose than a lot of family members.

Good Luck!

Also for anyone who hasn't heard of it..when I get a chance, my dog will become a "pet steps to heaven". do a search for it on-line and you'll find them. A different idea I've never heard of before. I've got mine all designed in my head, just have to get the money together and take my dogs remains. basically, they take your dogs cremated remains and mix them with cement and make a decorative stone. I thought it was a great idea when my dog died this spring.

Its done. The vet left my house, I and my wife took Henry to a pet creamation service near my house and when we get his ashes back he will be spread at "the point" where he swam hundreds of times. He died in peace and although today is a very sad day, tomorrow and for the rest of my life I will always treasure Henry and what he gave to me and my family.

Wayne

P.S. thanks for all the replies, they did make me feel better.

"He's a good boy". Thats what I always said about my Lab Jade that we had to put to sleep this last spring. It leaves a big hole in your life thats for sure. Remember the good times and be proud to have known "HENRY". Dogs live way to short of a life thats for sure. I now have another little guy running around the house. Someday you'll be ready to get you another "good boy" as well. Sorry for your lose.

I saw this post when it first came up and couldn't even imagine how I would handle losing one of my dogs. Well tonight I had to say goodbye to a very good friend, Kota, my 7 year old chesapeake bay retriever. She was taken from me by a rare, malicious form of cancer that literally took over her in less than one week from when we first saw signs something was wrong. She started begging for food and acting hungrier about 3 weeks ago---she got worms last year and had similar simptoms. We went hunting the sat. and sun. before thanksgiving and looked good and was running around better than ever---but thinner just assuming from hunting season and worms. Monday after testing negative for worms, went in tuesday for blood work-----extremely high liver enzymes, our vet says liver cancer or liver infection/disease. She still was very active and wanted to play ball. Wednesday 11/26 went to emergency vet in eden prairie to get some more extensive tests, x-rays, and an ultrasound. Small "mass" in her liver, doctor says not sure but 85% infection 15% cancer--take amoxicillen--he was very optomistic and we had hope. Wednesday night less eating---after thursday night she never ate again. She deteriorated so fast we were afraid she wouldn't make it till monday to get some treatment. Mon she spent the night getting IV fluids and antibiotics at her regular vet. Tues. morning picked her up and she looked worse. By now her eyes, lips and skin were yellow from her failing liver and could barely walk----vet called the Uof M to get us an appointment----couldn't get in till this morning at 11am......another agonizing, helpless night. Today a biopsy was done to the mass in her liver(that had already ruptured it grew so fast and was filling her belly with blood) and was confirmed to be cancer and had spread through her body. The dr. said there was nothing to prevent this and nothing we could have done to stop it. The decision I had dreaded since the day I picked her up(choosing when her time was up) was the hardest thing I have ever had to do---the only thing that has left me any comfort was relieving her pain. Those final moments are honorable and crushing at the same time. Watching her going downhill so fast was a nightmare for me and the whole family that I hope never happens again. I truly will miss her and feel like I have been stolen of a best friend, family member, and a devoted hunting buddy all rolled into one. ----goodbye "stinker"

jeff

Very sorry to hear about your loss. I know exactly what you're going through. I have ent through some tough times in my life, but last hear when I had to put my healthy,5 year old lab Buck to sleep,was by far the hardest thing I've ever done. I got him from a home that abused him,gave him some love and he turned out to be wonderful. In May 2007 he ran up to a boy riding his bike past and jumped up to play and scraped the boys waist a tiny bit,the claimed he bit him(never bit anyone,not even when playing rough), and the next thing we know,we have a claim against our homeowners insurance. Then a couple of months later the meter reader came in the yard and he bit her thumb,protecting his territory. He was then classified as a viscious dog and had to put him to sleep. Didnt want to give him to someone else in case he were to do it again. What made it even harder for me is that I went in to see him after he was put to sleep.Cried for days,mans best friend for sure. REMEMBER- All good dogs go to heaven,but whos cleaning up all that [PoorWordUsage] up there?

I feel your pain.

Had to put my dog Bud down a few years back.

My girlfriend at that time sent me this so I'm sending it to you.

The Magic Forest Story

In the magic forest

silent, dark and sweet

run the pitter-patter

of beloved dog feet

In the magic forest

there is no pain nor fear

our doggies live in joyful bliss

for God is near and here

In the magic forest

is where Henry will always be

you will see him there in your heart

running with Bud

And, in the magic forest

your heart will never break

for all the doggie love you have

no parting can ever take

So, in the magic forest

our doggies play without end

and in the magic forest,

your insides will always mend.

I had troubles with old account, so I created new one. Jeff, its ben a few weeks without Henry around and everyday gets easier. That night the vet came over was rough and each day after got easier and now when I reflect on Henry's life I just smile.My wife, kids and myself spread Henrys ashes at the point he always swam at and his life has gone full circle. Your story hurts me to read and I can tell that you did everything in your power to make Kota's life as good as you could and some day she will lick your face again. Hang in there and you too will be smiling with happy memories sooner than you might think.

Wayne