Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Craigums

any plumber's here?

21 posts in this topic

Im interested in going to school and maybe going into the business. Any suggestions to get me started? Pro's and Con's of the job....

You can even e-mail me if you would like

Hope this is the right forum.

As for drawbacks, you'd have to put up with a bunch of [PoorWordUsage] and may also be pressured to stump for desperate political campaigns.

I had a couple of buddy's that were plumbers. Very hard work, hard on your body but if you are good there's good money in it.

There is getting to be a shortage of plumbers now a days,No younger guys want to do it?? Your smart to get into it! There will always be demand and last I heard average age of a plumer if 55-57,Soon a wage for plumbers on demand will be higher than now! Good luck and always remember [PoorWordUsage] flows downhill

I had a couple of buddy's that were plumbers. Very hard work, hard on your body but if you are good there's good money in it.

Wimps........

Glad to hear someone else willing to get off their butt and create a real job for themselves. The young kids will have a rude awakening one day.

Plumbing is one thing that the DIYers usually won't do. Check out the department of labor and industry. See what is required and go from there. Try to become an apprentice of some sort. The older guys would love to teach someone younger and willing to work.(not that it's real strenuous)

I would also suggest a school for HVAC. Plumbing and heating go hand in hand, and it will create more opportunities for yourself.

I would also suggest a school for HVAC. Plumbing and heating go hand in hand, and it will create more opportunities for yourself.

Good point. Man is it hard to get someone to work on your furnace when you need them.

If you are interested in the construction trades you might also want to consider being an electrician. A little cleaner work that people are also unable to perform themselves usually. Takes a little more brains than brawn.

I'm not sure what the demand is for either one right now with the construction boom over. You might want to do some research on that too.

You may want to consider something in the Medical field actually, Construction is not doing very well well trust me, I have friends that are dealing with extensive time off, and the wolfs at my door every week, it looks like it will get worse before it gets better.

If you must plumb, become a fitter, if you can get enough work to make it through a 4 year apprenticeship.

Muskiefool beat me to it, get into fitting. If you are going to work union (why you wouldn't, I'll never understand), the fitters are making more and are more employed. I don't believe my local is even having a first year apprenticeship class this year. Times are tough in construction right now. If you have your heart set on being a plumber, give it time and the economy will turn around.

Union!!!??? hahaha

If someone wants to be in a temp service, have at it. smile

I agree with the other guys, pick a trade you think you'll enjoy whether it be plumbing, HVAC, electrical etc. They are all necessary carrers and just like anything else the amount of effort you put in will reflect how succesfull you will unltimatly be. Picking a career is a big decision so go with your gut and do the best you can! Good Luck!

go for it. Spend two years in school for plmbng/hvac. learn and do as muchas possible that will help when you start working. Also get a universal refrigeration license, boilers license, and class A drivers license. the money may not be great as an apprentice but it only lasts two years after school and many outfits may pay for how hard you work and how fast you learn. It may be hard and dirty but it sure beats sitting in a cubicle in front of a computer all day.

I am a firm believer that even though the trades are slow now, these are vital jobs for the future. I don't think you can go wrong in learning any trade.

The union/ non union thing is something that you will have to decide for yourself. Do YOUR OWN research, and decide what works out best for you. Do not go on what a union "Bo" tells you, or what your friend heard at a union meeting. Look at the numbers and decide for yourself. Most people are very pro or anti union, which makes valid information very hard to come by.

A great field right now are plumbers who can do service calls. It is not always fun work, but for someone with the right attitude, demeanor, and ability to work with people, you will always have work.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. I was a electrician to get myself through college, and am now a Project Manager for a Commercial General Contractor. Just don't do that whistle

I wouldnt really bother going to school to be a plumber you get an apprenticeship spl? and work for five years or so by then you should have enough hours to take you journymens test Dont do union not worth your time

Its a great trade to get into. Remember that the trades are very slow right now. Even good plumbers are out of work, as well as carpenters, sparky's, ect. I would try to go union. They put you through school while you work and you get great benefits. Just my opinon though. There are some things I don't like about the union also. If you want to hear more info let me know.

Check into the union for yourself, don't just go with what people say. I am union and I have friends that are not union. I can tell you who makes more with more benefits, and who can retire earlier. Its better to be union 90% of the time. Good luck with what you decide.

Ive just got a job as a plumbing apprentice myself. I went to college a few years, finished generals and just stopped going. I ended up looking into the trades and heard plumbing was the most promising at the time (a few years ago).

I started out by going to a non union school for plumbing but its not necessary. I know people who got a job and learned everything while working. Though I think for someone with no expeirence it looks much better when applying for a job to have schooling. I tried to get into St. Paul's union program but its very hard especially right now.

It can be tough finding trade jobs in this economy also this is the slower time of year for many shops. I called lots of places and checked craigs.list every other day. I finally found a job through craigs.list towards the end of the summer. It wouldnt hurt to look for jobs right now but towards spring you will have a better chance of finding one.

Plumbing is manual labor but I dont think its as tough as some make it out to be. We now use more plastic pipe which means less weight and less time to install. Some people mentioned pipe fitting which I have heard is much easier to find a job in but I also hear it is much harder work than plumbing.

Good luck if you choose to go for it. It can be tough now but its tough for lots of industries, things will get better.

My brother in law was hired as a pipefitter and the next day was laid off smile