• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shelter question again

Crappieman

Question

I know this has been discussed but Frabil has brought out a solo shelter for 279. Reed's has it. So my question:
Which one to go with
Fishtrap pro
Frabil Solo
Otter Small Den
All are around the same price
Help please.
Any other suggestions

9 answers to this question

I have a 2000 model Fishtrap pro and love it. The only complaint I have with it is I'm tall and it seems like your sitting right on top of the hole. I know the new models have an adjustable seet that you can slide forward or backward to get you closer or farther back from the hole. I can't wait to try a new one out. I have never tried an Otter or A Frabil so I can't say anything good or bad about either of those.

Hey Crappieman - I started out with a one man Otter sled, but never had the room I needed. I now have a Frabill XLTwin. It is great with two people, but fantastic alone. You can fish the two holes and still have lots of room for heater, buckets, Vexilar, etc. So if there is any way possible, I really believe going bigger is better. I didn't even use the Otter last year at all.

Fish Trap makes a good product as does the rest. I own a Fish Trap II and I've had no complaints. I'm assuming that the Fish Trap Pro is similar. Have you looked at all of these models? Check them out and no matter what you choose you can't lose.

Good Fishin, Matt.

My vote is with the Frabill... and here's why.

I like the steele tubes.. most others use aluminum. Yes the alum is lighter, but also easier to bend. I like black for a color of the fish house. Sometimes during the year, I like to sight fish, with black, its deffinatly easier, plus it absorbs more heat.

Last take a look at where all the tubes meet in each of the 3 houses your are looking at.. Look to see which seems most durable since you want this to last.

All of the above houses make a quality product, I'm sure you will be happy with whichever you decide on, I am just giving my opinion.

Crappieman,

I to had them same qustions on what shelter to buy. ok so heres what I came up with,I had it narrowed down to the frabill ranger solo or the otter Den

frabill ranger solo
51L x 82W x 62H
60lbs
Cover 420 denier nylon

Otter den
56L x 69W x 62H
43lbs
cover- Heavy duty 11oz canvas

I went with the otter do to the nicer cover the sled is deeper and longer and the weight is lighter. Both nice units I have a frabill speed shak XL and love it.If the solo whould come with arctic armor I would of bought the frabill. It up to the indvidual and what your needs are.

Frabill is the way to go. I also have the xlt ranger and its very nice. Ive seen pretty much all the portables besides eskimos and glaciers. But just compare the frabill to the otter yourself one time. there is no comparison on the newest fabric that frabill has. It will easily out last a otters. Yes, the frabill might be a little overwieght for its size but the extra weight is a bad thing. you just know your getting a better qaulity product put together the way it was intended. I love mine. you can really beat the bench and the cover its great.

The ranger solo dont come with the arctic armor. artctic armor is some great stuff I have it on my speed shak XL and the frabills are well built houses. The ranger solo comes with 420 denier nylon.

Thanks for all the information. This forum is great. I looked at the scout at Throne Brothers on Friday. They have changed the seat. It is a seat now and moves back and fourth. For the price 199.00 it seems a good unit. Light weight. It has more room than I thought.

I was at Cabelas and Scheels in EGF and Grand Forks. I looked at all kinds of houses and I ended up buying the Dave Genz Guide Pro Fish Trap. It was $379 at Cabelas and $299 at Scheels in Grand Forks. I looked at the Frabil, Glacier, Shapell and all the others and for mobility, quality and price I think you can't go wrong with the Fish Trap Guide. You get the sled, 2 chairs that can slide and go anywhere and a quality house. Honestly, I wanted that Frabil Triple house but for 500 bucks I do not think it is worth it. The Fish Trap guide has lots of room for 1 person but you could fish in it with 2. That's my 2 cents.