• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing!

Ok, so let's start chatting about ice fishing! cool

We were at Gander Mtn. on Sunday to look at the new Jason Mitchell rods but they hadn't stocked them yet. They were supposed to get a bunch of ice stuff out with a shipment that was to arrive yesterday. I also ordered a JM Spring Bobber rod this year and I can't wait to use it.

I was checking out the new Hummingbird locators. They are really nice units. I liked how digital everything was about it. When you would change the depth range, the entire face would change to that depth. It was pretty spendy though!! I've got no complaints about my Marcum. It's a great unit too.

Last winter I starting using Chubby Darters. These little guys are great! I had quite a bit of success with all the species I fished for. Has anyone used these? Everytime I'm on the ice, I'll tie one on. I don't use bait with them either since it screws up the action.

Some of the lakes/rivers up here are ice skimmed. Are you guys getting the bug yet? laughgrin Silly question right? winkgrin

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm excited but I still have leaves to rake down here in St. Paul.

Oh by the way Happy Belated Birthday!

I haven't used any Chubby Darters but if that is what you were using on Burntside I am going to have to get me some.

Thanks chaff! We've got some flurries here today. I should be out stringing lights around my deck! grin

I've used Chubby Darters each time I went out last winter. The only time I got skunked with one on was late ice last winter on a small panfish lake. Go figure! I just love 'em but they're not cheap so I tie them on extra tight! eekeekgrin

Quads

I have been hanging out at L&M Fleet drooling all over their ice fishing stuff, they have the H20 black and white for $144 and the color for $229. I would have jumped on it, but just spent $300 getting a winch for the Polaris (gotta buy something the "old grouch" wants every once and a while. But the GPS is on my Christmas list from me to me. I looked at one of those hubstyle shacks that looked huge, I wonder how hard they are to set up? I miss my Cabela's in Rogers and my Sportsmans Warehouse in CR cryfrownfrownfrown

Well gals ( and boys ) I am hpoing to get on the ice the weekend after thanksgiving. we're headed up to the cabin, I hear there is already about 4" of ice on the smaller sheltered lakes. Just checked the forcast and nothing above freezing in sight, and Night temps in the teens. -- I'm sooo happy !!! grinlaughgrin.

Got all the reels on the ice rods, Wheeler is ready to go, just have to get the shack out of storage and ready.

yippy !!! laugh

Bruce I use to go out on ice that thin (Mille Lacs, Gull) but I guess I have either wised up or become a little more chicken plus I might weigh a little more. The one thing that is missed by not going out is the best fishing for walleyes that will happen darn near all season. The only times that I have caught my limit and released a lot of big ones with out going to LOTW was always on thin ice.