• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To use Deer scent/lures or not to use?

chippy

I'm new here. Not sure if this topic has been posted or not.

To use deer scent lures or not to use.

My dad swears by Tinks because he dropped a decent 10 pointer on our property that came to sniff it on the trail.

While me on the other hand, has had no luck with any of the scent. I usually use the Golden Estrus from Wildlife Research Center.

This weekend will be my last shot at getting any venison!

Right day right time. Thats what it comes down to. I use scent all year round. Trails end 307 or Buck Rut waffers it doesn't matter I use what ever should work for that season. Some days scents will bring them in and some days it will spook them out. It comes down to right day right time.

I use the scent sticks that you burn like incense, just to help cover up some of my stench in the woods. I also figure if they burn for about 2 hours, my morning sessin is about half over. I don't wear a watch, but carry one for deer season, I hate looking at it every 5 minutes wondering how long it has been since the last time I looked.

I hung the golden esterus leaves last year, my buck came in late in the day checking out his scrapes and walked right under 2 of the leaves. I always use a fox urine drag while walking to the stand......

Here's my theory. When using scent plan your approach to your stand using the wind. Try to avoid leaving your scent in the path of a deer before it gets into shooting range. Then, try to deposit scent wicks in your shooting lanes far from your stand. Don't bring the bottle/bag of scent into the stand with you,leave it in the drop zone and pick it up as you leave.

If you don't do this you are just adding scent to your location and even if a buck is drawn in it will bust you first.

When hunting the northwoods I like to use pine cover scent in my stand. Don't get any with attractant or you will just add to your scent profile. I also pop sap blisters in spruce trees.

Now here's the true test. Find skunk scent or fox pee and back at camp cover yourself with it. Put on your scent shield clothing and spray yourself with the scent killer. Have you buddy smell you-and if you still smell like fox pee(you will) you have proven to yourself that this is all snake oil. So relie on luck, spending long hours quietly in the stand, and hunting in areas with lots of deer and you will get your venison and you just might be allowed back in the house after the weekend.

Disclosure-I use it all. Hans

I placed the Golden estrus leave right on my shooting lane. Which is also a trail that's heavily used by the deer in our area. This is about i'd say 40-50 yards from the stand? But on opener weekend the wind was blowing my scent towards the area the deer would usually come from.

My dad saw a doe, but could not get a shot off due to some small brushes in the way. She was walking on the trail, might of picked up my dad's scent, then simply slowly turned around and walked away. All this the while we were using the scent spray! lol.

i had luck with a mock scrape sent this same week last year when a 6 point came to it at 10 yrds. other than that ive never had any other deer come close to scent so i guess it depends on the time of year

I had a couple scentwicks with Trails End 307 out the day before gun season. A spike was chasing a doe all around the stand, then he lost her. He came back by the stand and caught a wiff of the wick and stopped then let out two snort-wheezes. That was pretty neat to hear.

once i had luck with tinks 69. decent 8 anyways. this year i tried mock scrapes with drippers. worked great! set up trail cams on each site and got lots of pics of decent bucks. however, pics were from 2-4 in the morning.

This has work for me every year.

Setup 2 mock scrape with scrape scent with buck urine on different side of your treestand. Then mix some buck and doe urine on a drag rag and drag it from the mock scrape to a open spot close to your treestand (preferrablly the spot you are planning to take the shot). Hang a scent rag with doe in estrous, then cover the area around with some doe urine. I usually put some around the base of my treestand to cover my scent and any scent i might have left behind.

Just don't put too much or you won't be able to bare the smell.

I usually just get the cheapest stuff. Whatever that is on sale, they all work the same for me.

Saw a total of 4 bucks (ranging from 4 - 9 pointers). I shot the 9 pointer (scored a 172).