• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best First Flasher!!!

Lane

My old man was not a fisherman, and i have been trying to teach myself. I have really started to get into ice fishing, and i plan on getting a flasher this year after fishing with a couple last year.

What is the best flasher for the dollar that a first time buyer should get?

Normally, I would not jump right in and buy the most expensive flasher, but if there is one thing that everyone says when I ask them their opinion on the matter, is to buy as much as you can afford, cause down the road you are going to want the top of the line when it comes to buying a flasher.

Is it worth simply buying an FL-8, or while I am spending the money should I just get a top of the line (vexilar, marcum, Humminbird)?

Thoughts?

Really will depend on how much fishing you gona be doing...at least in my opinion. If you are gona be out there every weekend or any chance you get, get the best. You'll use it more and you won't feel like you're missing out because you have a lower end unit. If you don't go tht much...don't need to spend the money. Something that works will be good. Marcum VX 1 are selling for 200ish, thats a great deal for a flasher, but I'm an ice fishing noob...

I have a marcum lx-3 and use to have a vexilar fl-8 and I prefer the marcum however my fl-8 was 12 years old and didn't have the newer features that you find on them all now. I would suggest that you go to the FM sponser Pro Fishing Supply and check out the deal they have on a new marcum VX-1 ($199). A very good price to get you going.

Heck - I started out ice fishing with a friend who had an old Hummingbird Green Box and caught a ton of fish. I thought I was in heaven when I got my own Clearwater Classic. Again - caught tons of fish with that. I now have an LX-3tc and spend more time dinkin' around with my electronics instead of catching fish! =0

Where are you guys getting your vx-1's? Everyplace I look they are $300.

You're most likely looking at the VX-1p. You cqn still get the VX-1's at a little over $200. Like others have said, check out ProFishing Supply, you'llget a great priceand he's a great guy to deal with. I see he has a close out right now on the VX-1 for $199.99.

The more you fish and the more sophisticated you get at it, the more you'll appreciate the advanced features on a top-of-the-line flasher like an LX-5. But if if that's not in the cards for you then any so-called "entry level" flasher will be worth it's weight in gold for you.

The Marcum VX-1 is really a great deal. It has some nice features like the bottom zoom that you don't get on other entry level flashers, and it's a nice compact unit with it's custom electronics shuttle. If you're interested you can check them out HERE

What ever you can afford is the best option and it would be nice if it was new but I learned so much from my old Hyundex FL8 (Before they were Vexilar) and it was only 300 watts. If money is a problem just get something that you can afford now cause it will improve your success rate by about a 1000% right away. When and if you have the money you will then understand and appreciate the features that the higher end models offer. I now have a LX5 and I have come to really love the Super Fine Line and the ability to switch between the 9 and 19 degree transducer angles. When walleye fishing 19 is usually good but when I am chasing Lakers the 9 is perfect on the sharp drop offs or when I am fishing close to the wife so I can tell which fish is chasing my lure.

im sure this goes for both the major brands but before i bought my fl-8 i was checking [YouNeedAuthorization] and those sites for a used one and they dont sell much cheaper than new ones, so if you buy it new youre not gonna lose too much value if you sell it for an upgrade in a couple years.

I would watch [YouNeedAuthorization] and look for either and FL 12 or newer or else a marcum lx3 or lx5. I have the lx5 and love it but it is plenty spendy. A buddy of mine got a great deal on [YouNeedAuthorization] on an lx3 and then sent it to the factory and the rebuilt it and made it like new for less than 50 dollars. No matter what you get you will love it. Have fun and good luck