• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Will I hurt my grass?

lawdog

Obviously we've had a hard freeze and in fact had snow sitting on the grass for several days too. Now the snow is gone and I was thinking I'd make one more pass around with the rider picking up leaves and cleaning up. Would it hurt my dormant grass to mow over it now???

Ya I should clarify, there isn't anything to cut it didn't grow since I last cut it and I cut keep the deck up one notch anyway, I just want to bag up the leaves without having to rake well over an acre...

I was mostly just worried about driving all over it I guess.

One of my neighbors had a professional do his yard last weekend. There wasn't many leaves, but he was dropping a lot of green and brown grass onto a trailer. The blade must have been pretty low cause the yard looked scalped.

I only make note of this as it isn't one of the most kept up lawns on the block.

We're still doing cleanups. Well, we will be once I can get my bagger welded back together. We had a catastrophic failure yesterday and need to get the welder out.

Anyways, some yards we cut the grass. If the grass is over 3" tall, the grass is getting cut.

We've done cleanups as late as December 23rd. Some years we've been done as early as October 25th. It all depends on what the customer wants.

There's many professionals still doing cleanups, as the longer the snow stays away, the more people there will be that will be tired of looking at leaves on their grass.

My own opinion is that if you were to still cut the grass, that yes, you may damage the ends, but that will grow back out in the spring. In no way will it look like you sprayed your entire yard with round up.