• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good light for a portable?

jeepguy

I have a fish Trap Yukon and I am yet to find a light that I like. I got a new deep cycle battey so I have the option of hooking a light up to that. I have tried to led disk lights (cant stand led light), lantern (too noisy). Does anyone have any suggestion for a good light for use in my portable?

I use a propane lantern for the extra benefit of the heat. You might want to go the white gas lantern route if the propane is too noisy for you. I also have a headlamp on for detailed stuff like tieing or getting the hook out of my glove...'doh.

I just installed a 45cm HK light in my fish trap pro and it's awesome. Hooked it up to a second vex battery added a switch. Lights up the shack like daytime. No more 1 pounders or mantles for this guy. Still use the headlamp for travel. Can't believe I didn't do this sooner.

I have tried to led disk lights (cant stand led light), lantern (too noisy). Does anyone have any suggestion for a good light for use in my portable?

Lots of folks don't like LED light. I suggest trying two kong LED strips together. Get one white and one warm white shorter strips ran in parallel. The difference in the wavelengths will give you better depth perception and viewing, closer to what an incandescent provides.

I used about 10' off an old broken electric extension cord, put on clips to connect to deep cycle battery, and a light bulb screw in with a 12 volt ?? watt light bulb. Taped up light bulb screw in real good with electric tape and Walla light and lots of it. Works really well for about three nights of ice fishing before the battery needs recharging. Used light in both my 6’X8’ perm and my Yukon. Lots of good light plus beats the heck out of Coleman lantern plus no fumes or headaches.