• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garage Heater

mrklean

Question

Is there any type of garage heater out there that is electric that i can plug into a regular outlet? I just want to be on the safe side and not have the thing start a fire in the garage, i rent it so its not mine.

9 answers to this question

Just go to your local home store and take a look at what they have. Look on the side of the heater or on the box and check to see that it is not more than 1500 watts and you are good to go on a house or garage outlet (15A breaker size). If you find one with a built in fan it will bring the heat up in the garage a little quicker, or at least it will seem so.

better be a small garage and not too cold out. 1500 watts is only 5000 btu/hr.

One of those kerosene heaters is 20k btu or you could get one of those jet engine looking things that run off kerosene or LP like the construction guys and farmers use.

im just looking for something to plug in so it keeps the temp a little warmer at night when my car sits out there without burning the garage down, doesnt have to keep it at 70 or anything just some a little warmer so when i start my car wont have to sit as long.

I recently purchased at 40,000 BTU kerosine heater at Fleet for $130. Portable and gets the garage nice and warm in ten minutes. Also a good backup if we get a severe ice/snow storm that knocks out power for a few days. Another thing I did was insulate the garage. Makes a huge difference. Found some old fiberglass and she works great.

If you are worried about your car not starting in an unheated garage.... you need to re-evaluate your car.

Personally, I think you have nothing to worry about unless your car has needs some attention. Even if it is a diesel.... I think volvo made a diesel car?? I parked my Volkswagon diesel outside for 3 winters, never plugged it in. ALWAYS started. A gas car with a decent battery shouldn't have any problems in an unheated garage.

Just my .02

i never said anything about my car not starting, i just want a heater in my garage, its nice not going to your car and it being freezing cold, its nice to start it and not have to let it run for 10-20 min and then go.