• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Joy of Pups

Jackpine Rob

My boy is a bit over 6 months, and we are going through all of the normal trials and laughter.

Last week, he finally discovered the joy of rolling in dead things. I had brought him out for his final potty break before we went to bed, and he found something really awful back in the swamp behind the house. 11:00 at night wind howling and a bit of snow, and giving the dog a bath in the backyard.....

A few days earlier, he disappeared while I was doing some laundry, and Jr. was busy 'chatting online with babes'. We discovered him on Jr.'s bed, laying on his back with his head on the pillow. Jr. screamed in anguish, as he discovered the empty container, which had been full of chocolate chip cookies mere moments earlier......

Tonight as I was grilling some Bambi chops for supper, I looked through the sliding glass doors and saw the pup standing over his rug, facing away from me and furiously gnawing on something. "Houston, we have a problem" came into my mind, as I slid the door open and raced over to him.

Too late. A bar of Ivory soap had been pretty well destroyed and ingested. Paw prints in the downstairs shower provided mute evidence of where he got it from.... His breath smelled very fresh, and we all waited expectantly for him to start burping up bubbles when he went for the water dish....

I swear, they get into more mischief!!

Last night my wife came in from taking our 7 mo old YLM out to relieve himself. He comes in, walked up to me, and out of his mouth he dropped a big ol' turd! It wasn't his turd...it looked like compacted deer [PoorWordUsage]. I suppose it could be, we have deer in our backyard all the time.

Nasty!

Yeah, machohorn I know how you feel. I have a GSP, best and first hunting dog I've ever had, but when he was a pup he would chew anything in sight. One time he actually ATE a dog food bowl. Couldn't figure out where it went...until I cleaned up his kennel. Another time he climbed up his kennel fencing and got into his dog food, ate about 4 pounds of a 5 pound bag and looked like he was about to explode. Needless to say, he didn't wanna eat for another couple days. Dogs are the best thing, and the biggest reason I hunt. I don;t know what I'd do w/o my pooch.

My little bud managed to find every single deer bone from the past 5 years of butchering in the woods behind my house. I let him chew on them outside but not bring them inside, which he didn't like. I'd stand with the door open and call him in - he'd head in but when I'd tell him 'drop it' he'd do a 180 as if to say 'I'm not giving up my bone'. So I gave him the silent treatment for a while. I open the door and he's sitting there with the bone in his mouth. 'Wanna come in' I ask, he heads for the door, stops about 10 ft away - I tell him 'drop it' and again he head back out into the yard. This silent treatment sequence went on another 3 times.

Finally after a lenghty period of the silent treatment I head to the door to find him sitting there, looking in through the screen door - no bone in sight.

I open the door and he heads in - at the last second, and quick as lightning, he reaches down by the door jam and snatches the bone up and heads in. I caught him by the hips but that little fart had stashed it out of sight and tried a quick break in!

Looking at my older dog splayed out on the carpet, it's hard to believe that he was called "Devil Dog" as a pup. When unsupervised he chewed window sills, door jambs, rugs, $40, shoes, shoes, and more shoes. The little guy loved leather. He pulled 3 feet of metal cornerbead right out of the drywall. Cut his mouth open, but he didn't mind. He loved to ingest paper towels and tissues. His [PoorWordUsage] was more objects then actual [PoorWordUsage]. We had to "tail proof" the house...moving all breakables at least 2' off the ground. A two year old, 85lb Lab is quite the destruction machine.

Now at 7, he is calm as can be. Very obedient, but sometimes a bit mischevious, he can always be counted on for a laugh.

It's fun to think back on those first 2 years.

Looking at my older dog splayed out on the carpet, it's hard to believe that he was called "Devil Dog" as a pup.

I actually named my pup Mavericks Lucifer. laugh She is still a little devil. almost two years old and she still goes into the garbage can once in a while.