• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable GPS

onemore

Question

10 answers to this question

I picked up a 76cx garmin a couple of weaks ago with a

lakemaster chip and I love. Lowrance has some good handhelds also. I can see how these are benificial for ice fishing. Ounce you use one it is hard to imagine fishing without one. Great tool for planning a trip before hitting the ice.

I just recently was given a topo map, for my unit, for mapping out and installing a fence for the Wisc DNR. And man what a help that was to keep a straight line between way points while brushing and cutting down thick underbrush and popular trees.

As for what unit would be best that would be what you want it to do. I beleive the The Garmins are more flexable as you get more flexability. This question will drive you crazy on witch one to decide on.

Check out ProFishingSupply.com(one of our sponsers) He has a description of both garmin and lowrance hanhelds and he has good pricing.

I have the basic Garmin e-Trex. While it doesn't do mapping and such, it does have some great abilities for a small, cheap unit. Keeps waypoints and such. Best part is you can get them used relatively cheaply. I think I paid $40 or $50 for mine from a friend who was upgrading.

I have a Lowrance Expedition C w/Lakemaster chip and love it. It has the compass and an altimeter. You really don't need the altimeter when ice fishing but it was fun to play with on my trip to Baltimore last week. (did you know a Boeing 757 jet cruises at 35,000 feet and at 649 mph?)

I got the H20c and I love it. i just upgraded from an old etrex vista and it is much better. Color screen is nice, plus its big and easy to see. I got the lakemaster chip plus I got the Mapcreate. I would just get the lakemaster if I were to do it again but the topo on mapcreate is nice for hunting.

I use a Garmin Rino120.

This is a handheld GPS, FRS, and GMRS radio all in one.

It has a 12 parallel chanel GPS receiver with WAAS enabled.

Typical GPS accuracy is about 3 meters but I have experienced accuracy to 6 feet occasionally.

Speed accuracy is .05 meter/second (about 1/10th mile/hour).

Guaranteed waterproof down to 1 meter for 30 minutes.

Comes with 8M memory for downloading map data.

It can store up to 500 waypoints, 20 routes, and 20 tracks.

I use three different mapping software packages.

1. Minnesota Lakemaster. Contains contour maps for over 1200 Minnesota lakes including accuracy to 1 foot contours on 128 of the most popular lakes in Minnesota.

2. US Topo showing land contours, elevation, rivers, lakes, etc.

3. US Roads & Recreation which includes many points of interest such as wayside rests, hotels, fuel stations, restraunts, etc.

I use it for hunting, fishing, driving, you name it. My wife and kids give me a hard time because I take it with us just about everywhere.

Bob

The Garmin 276C and 378 are awesome models.

I use mine in the boat, on the wheeler, in the car like a Tom Tom, in the woods.

I have lake software with depth contours etc..

They have a bigger screen than the little handhelds which is very nice when traveling with it as points and hazards come up very fast on the water.

Just my $.02

Gabby