• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coyote dog

Well the new lab had a great waterfowl season, but with everything freezing up I've switched to coyote mode. Plugged in Calling All Coyotes 2 and didn't take long for the dog to show interest. He absolutely loves watching duck hunting on tv, but he almost showed more interest in the coyotes on the screen.

He's sitting here trying to figure out what's going on. He was up next to the screen but after I went to get the camera and laughing so hard he wouldn't go back up there again.

DSCF0760.jpg

CAC2 is a riot when the dogs catch on.

My old lab ran into, no he plowed into the tv one night when I was watching CAC2 and a 'yote was walking a path in the grass towards the camera.

I've never laughed so hard in my life.

you know they acutually use dogs for coyote hunting besides the normal pushing yotes outa the woods. I read that some people would send the dog out and the dog would find the coyotes and basically say "here i am come and eat me" and the dog would take off running back to its owner. The owner waits for the dog to come back and boom theres a coyote. I think in this instance they were using the jack russel tarriers. There was a couple other ways they would hunt them with dogs also. Pretty neat article.

Decoying with dogs is a very effective way to hunt coyotes when they are territorial. The coyotes are not looking to eat the dog! The dog is a threat in the coyotes territory. Usually the dog doesn't just take off. The hunter usually starts with a series of howls, or rabbit distress calls, when a coyote is in sight, the owner sends the dog into the coyotes view. once the coyote has sensed the dogs presence the owner calls the dog back, and usually the coyote follows the dog, for a shot. Its a very effective way to kill coyotes when the hold up at 500 or farther. I have a few friends that work for the ADC that use dogs for decoying.

Wow this thread took a turn! I actually had never heard of using a dog to decoy coyotes, but that sounds pretty interesting.

I would certainly think a medium or large dog could hold its own against a coyote, they're pretty small.