• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Alert: Dec. 1 planet and moon proximity

On the evening of Dec. 1, the waxing crescent moon (14 percent of the moon's surface visible), Jupiter and Venus will all be within 1 or 2 degrees of each other.

There are ample opportunities to capture this at various stages of brightness, since the moon rises late on the morning of Dec. 1 and will set at 7:35 p.m. in full darkness.

Be warned, and have fun! Let's pray for clear skies. gringringrin

Thanks for the info Steve. Although I must say my night shooting has ended.

Last time I was gathering up my gear to go out for astro photos,my wife asked me what I was doing,and I told her "I'd really like to get a good moon shot and a clear view of Uranus".

My bruises haven't healed yet.

You guys. gringrin

MM, that joke really stinks. winkwink

That was bad Steve! Real Bad!

So does this mean that we have until 7:35 to see this? I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly.

I know what I'll be doing if it is as cold as the lunar eclipse, I'll be getting my cooler and hand warmers ready!

The moon rises just before 11 a.m. on Dec. 1 and sets at 7:35 p.m. on Dec. 1. That's in Ely, BTW, though the time difference for points west in MN won't be too much different.

That means there will be opps to shoot the confluence late in the day toward sunset, when the sky is darkening but not dark, all the way through moonset at 7:35 (when the sky will be pretty much fully dark).

So as soon as the sky darkens enough so the moon and planets are all visible (sometime near sunset), it's time to start shooting. Especially since the difference in exposure between the bright planetary bodies and the sky won't be as harsh before sunset as it will be at full dark.

If it's as cold on Dec. 1 as it was last winter during the eclipse, I'm going to the bar for a birthday drink. gringrin

Steve,

What a birthday present! When we talked this morning it looked like it was going to overcast all day and tonight too. The skies cleared just for you! Did you buy a lottery ticket today?

Dang it! I do play the lotto. It's my retirement plan, after all. Forgot this time, because I was so jazzed about the owl and all the birds today and the moon/planets aligning.

Sigh. Must mean I really AM getting old. wink