Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Donk

Doe to Buck ratio???

2 posts in this topic

This has probably been discussed on here before, but would like to hear opinions. We at our camp don't usually have much of a problem seeing bigger bucks (150 pound 8 pter or better) on our hunting land. Not to say every day, but within the season, usually 6-7 stories of a good one or a dead one smirk But this past year, only 2. Tons of sign, but no Mr. Big. I personally saw 34 does/ fawns before I put one down on the last saturday evening. I have heard of 3 to 1, but it seems like way more than that around our place. The neighbor doesn't hunt so it is like a sanctuary over there, but usually chasing brings them through. Anyways, ideas on what is going on?

Could be a number of things... multiple doe/fawn sightings are difficult to track for one. You could be seeing the same groups. A food source may have changed. Your neighbor's sanctuary may be just that. Moving at night. Late-standing crops. Who knows. My guess is the bucks are around, you're just not seeing them. Put a camera or two up. Up until I shot my deer, I only saw 2 bucks prior. One of my trail cam's showed at least 8 different bucks coming in to eat acorns. I sat that stand a half dozen times and never saw an antler. I always thought the ratio was way out of whack but after using cameras for a season, I believe it to be much more balanced. No where near 1:1 but 2 1/2-3:1 sounds about right.