• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New muzzleloader?

SCUMFROG

I've been really happy with my TC Omega. I know some other decent choices have come out though so I'm not sure I'm an expert on all the options. If you can find a well taken care of used Omega I don't think you could go wrong with it which might get you under the $200 dollar mark. I'd get on the phone and start calling around and see if any of the gun stores have a higher quality muzzleloader thats been used.

You will need some other gear so it will help if some of the guys give you the basics list of what you're going to need. I don't think I lot of guys get rid of these though. I'd like to find one used and see if I could get my dad to come up for a day or two of muzzleloader hunting.

I shoot loose powder but you should probably go with 2 pellets of triple seven pyrodex. You can't go wrong with 100 grains of powder. This also means that you don't have to buy a measuring device for the powder. You're also going to need primers, and bullets. I shoot the Hornady SST's in the style that has a little less friction for loading. You'll probably need 1 box of bullets to get through this seasons sighting it in and hunting with it. You'll also need patches for cleaning the muzzleloader, and some cleaner for the patches. Some of the patches need to be wet for cleaning and some need to be dry.

Ryan

CVA has a few nice but cheap ones out there also Traditions has some. I personally own two Traditions. I love them and the way they shoot. BAD part is the supplys are going to run you a $100

Triple 7 power is $30

Bullets $15-35

Primers $3

Patchs $7

Cleaner $10

Lube $8-10

This is just a rough guess on the prices of the needs to just get started.

Froggy

Yeah, I have a CVA kodiak and I really like it....it shoots great and it's 3 for 3...I bought a less expensive one and I thought that if I liked muzzy hunting, I'd upgrade to a nice TC or something, well, it's year #4 and I'm still shooting that Kodiak...

Scum, I have a CVA and a Tradition. There both awesome guns. I like the Tradition a bit better because its built like a encore, and its soooooooo easy to clean, unlike th eCVA when you have allt he parts for it.

There are alot of muzzy out there you can get for around 200.

I bought a Remington Genesis Muzzleloader. Its not a bad gun, made by a good manufacturer, and has price tag right now of about $200. It is easy to clean and is really accurate, feels nice when I pull it up too. However, I think Remington is not going to make these anymore, even though they are still on their HSOforum. The prices of these guns have been basically cut in half, they must not be competing with the TC and everybody else. But if you want a good gun, and don't want to spend a lot of money, I would at least look at it.

i've got an old woverine knight in a .54 that i have had for about 17 yrs. Great gun, still doesn't miss. You can find these guns aroung used for under $120. Knight got a bad rep. about 7-8 yrs ago when the brought some bad product out. I would recommend getting out and hitting the used gun racks. What ever you buy, take lots of time shooting. You will also look at spend $$ on accessories. Good luck and you'll love to hunt with that smoke pole.

id look into cva optimas. i own three, just bought my third 2 nights ago. cva optima pro mag, nickel fluted barrel, camo stock with thumbhole, and a sling i don't care for, but they come with the gun, out the door for less than 300 bucks.

actually, my fiance owns one and i own 2. six year anniversary the other night. guess what she got. yep, and she loves it!

nice thing about buying a muzzleloader, you don't have to deal with paperwork and background checks. how long till that changes?

Holy cow, you bought her a muzzy and survived!! I am very impressed! I have a CVA optima with the nickel and I love the gun but hate the nickel, there is too much hassel with keeping it clean in my opinion. I bought my dad a CVA wolf and he likes his gun also.

There are a lot of good deals right now on Muzzleloaders. I have seen the Kodiak Pro for 199.00 and I baught a T\C Omega for 299.00 w\ a $50 mail in rebate. So if you look around you can find some great deals.