• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looks like i'm out for the season .

backlash 1

Pretty much the whole ice fishing season.

Just had rotator cuff surgery last week and it looks like no ice fishing for at least 3mths frown All my winter plans have dissapeared.

I'm running out of things a 1 armed man can do around the house work wise. Probably gonna set a new record for time logged onto this site per day. My tackle is gonna be the best organized in the world wink I think the people at the library are gonna know me on a first name basis.

Total time to get back somewhere around normal is 6 mths to a year they say... how many of you guys and gals have had to do this?

If you were up in Grand forks area, i would bring you along. I dont mind drilling lots of holes. I think the rest will be fairly easy for you after a few weeks of recovery. But if you are up in the area put a message on here about a little help and i will be glad to get you on the ice.

Backlash...that is the saddest post I have heard. I sure hope you have a fishing buddy or two that will get you out this season. I mean we are talking about ice fishing where the #1 thing you have to be good at is sitting! God bless, and I wish you a speedy recovery!

I had arthroscopic surgery on my right shoulder on april 25th 08 ! i had a torn labrum from 12 oclock to almost 6 oclock! bad rip. and i'm still out of work.(shucks jk) i had all the physical therapy and all that stuff . i went fishing may 5th (my birth day) and it was hard not to move my shoulder hard to set the hook. I switch all mt handles on my rods to the other side! so you can still ice fish just have someone there to set you up!

I have had both shoulders done. I was very vigilant with my PT and was back in action within 8 weeks. It was approx. 6 months for the shoulder with the scope type surgery and it was only 3 months with the shoulder where they laid it open with a scalpel. Much less invasive and a much faster recovery. I had the exact same things fixed on each side. I would say the recovery time has alot to do with how far the damage went or how long it was let go from what I have been told.

Good luck, keep up with the PT and you may be out before you realize catching fish.

I have had both shoulders done, and my right one done 2 times. You should be able to fish. Just have some one drill the holes or, carry anything heavy, limit your arm motions, and dont catch big fish wink , you wil be able to fish after a couple months.

OK guys, for a guy that can't sit still for a weekend, this is hard time for me. I know I don't have to worry about catching BIG fish and as soon as i'm off the pain meds and start feeling better i'm sure i'll be out there doing stupid stuff again, but it helps getting real answers from real people. I had a torn rotator, torn labrium, and they shaved some bone away also. He did a mini-open in the front and an ortho on both sides to get everything done. Started arm rotations the first night, and now pt 3 days a week. So far everythings going well, but you will get a head start on me once we see ice.

Everyone have a good season, and I hope to see you out there.

You'll find a way. I had my right shoulder done twice and it was slow going at first, but you adapt. I'm waiting to find out right now if I need to have surgery on my elbow to reroute a nerve... I won't be able to go out on my own, but I'll still get out grin

Like everyone else has said, good luck with your recovery brother.

I had two disks fused on Sept. 29th three years ago. I was not suppossed to do anything but lay about and go to my physical therapy.

I am not that kind of person. I did everything the doctors asked, I quit smoking, I followed the rest of their advice and I was dragging my ice shack out two weeks after taking off my back brace. (The ice shack dragging was against their advice so I didn't follow all of it:)

I remember feeling nothing but despair when I was told I couldn't work or fish all winter.Just do your therapy and good luck man. You might get out there sooner than you think. I drilled the holes and had my 9 year old kid get the auger out of them:)

Dont mean to hijack this thread - but hope you dont mind me asking...how did you guys get the shoulder injuries? I try to work out a few times a week lifting weights at the club and every once in awhile when I get back my shoulder sometimes feels a little "tweaked"...just wondering what your symptoms were and how you got the shoulder injury in the first place?

Thanks!

Hoffer,

Nothing I can really point a finger at in my case. From what I understand a lot of strenious overhead work and being over 50 does'nt help (probably my cause)

Symtoms were I started having problems extending my arm out with any kind of weight on it. When it got to the point where I had to struggle to get my belt on, I went in.

Pretty much the whole ice fishing season.

Just had rotator cuff surgery last week and it looks like no ice fishing for at least 3mths frown All my winter plans have dissapeared.

I'm running out of things a 1 armed man can do around the house work wise. Probably gonna set a new record for time logged onto this site per day. My tackle is gonna be the best organized in the world wink I think the people at the library are gonna know me on a first name basis.

Total time to get back somewhere around normal is 6 mths to a year they say... how many of you guys and gals have had to do this?

I'm an amature Body Builder... When it comes to the RC I've only had some sprains... But I've suffered 3 AC injuries (2 minor one major), and a nasty case of Osteolysis...

You will get out this season I'm sure...

What you have to do...

#1. Stop the self pity party... Your life isn't over... You can still fish... You're just 1 armed.

#2. Learn how to be 1 armed

#3. Ask "Good Friends" to take you ice fishing and do the 2 armed work for you.

I've been there... Done that... You'll learn in time how to be "Left Armed."

In fact there are some things that I taught myself how to do with my left, that now even 2+ years removed from the injury, I still can't do again with my right. (Like I open all my pop bottles left handed... Can't even spin the cap with my right.)

Sure you're not going to be running the auger or setting up the house... That's what your good friend is for.

There are lots of ways, if you sit down and thing about it, to ice fish one handed...

Pan Fishing with tight drag comes to mind... Running a rattle reel with a coat hook or a peg to help keep the line from being tangled.

Can you go out solo... No.. Not by any stretch... But you can certainly catch fish with a little bit of creativity.

Dont mean to hijack this thread - but hope you dont mind me asking...how did you guys get the shoulder injuries? I try to work out a few times a week lifting weights at the club and every once in awhile when I get back my shoulder sometimes feels a little "tweaked"...just wondering what your symptoms were and how you got the shoulder injury in the first place?

Thanks!

Well you're probably at the point where you're no longer a "Novice" in the weight room... But you haven't put the effort in to strengthen up your body knowledge.

I could give you a full treatise on the proper way to build a workout program that in my case has built 70 pounds of muscle in 7 years...

But it would take over this thread and 20 more... And I strongly encourage you to find a body building HSOforum/forum and seek the next level of knowledge.

Basic rules of thumb...

Volume: 12 sets per body part per week

Pace: 2-3 mins between sets... Each rep should be the same speed on the negative as the positive.

Diet: Protein 1 gram per pound of body weight per day

Rest: 8 hours of sleep, 2 days off per week... And a complete rest week every 10-12 weeks.

And remember that connective tissue takes longer to heal than muscle... So just because the muscle is recovered... Doesn't mean the tendons and ligaments are also recovered...