• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buckshot Rattle Spoon

Craigums

The dropper rig is more of a finesse approach. I use it for finicky fish. The spoon with the treble I use for the more aggressive fish. I will however use the one with a treble on my deadstick with a whole minnow for a better hook up.

The single hook-style is to be fished with a whole minnow and slower and the treble-style is for a minnow head and more aggressive technique.

Shouldn't we stay away from talking about finicky and pressured fish? It's only November. Ha!

Shouldn't we stay away from talking about finicky and pressured fish? It's only November. Ha!

Excellent point!

I agree on the dropper rig being for finnicky fish. I always start with the standard treble and go looking for fish that will take a more aggressive approach, I only go to dropper style rigs when nothing else is working.

I have a few of those spoons, but I've never really used just the minnow head.

Are we talking crappie minnow head, or medium sucker head? How would you hook it on there... facing which direction? Will the fish get confused if it looks like it has two heads? lol

Thanks!

I have a few of those spoons, but I've never really used just the minnow head.

Are we talking crappie minnow head, or medium sucker head? How would you hook it on there... facing which direction? Will the fish get confused if it looks like it has two heads? lol

Thanks!

Most times it would be a Fathead or Rainbow chub or a small shiner. I just pinch the head off and hook thru the front part of the head. Works great for Walleyes or Perch.

The early ice will give up some aggressive fish but the longer the ice is over there heads you will start seeing fish that will not come up and chomp your spoon and this is when your electronics will help you catch a few more. When the walleyes stop pounding the spoon they will come up and just suck on that minnow head and that is when you need to watch your flasher and pay attention to the weight of your lure. They will suck in the head and you will feel no wobble or it will get a little lighter and that is when you have to set the hook or it will spit it out and swim off.

Jim gives some great advice, so I will just add to what he has already said.

If the fish don't seem to be responding to a Buckshot Rattle Spoon tipped with a minnow head, don't be afraid to try tipping the same presentation with your favorite plastic tail(s) and/or multiple wax worms before slowing down your presentation.

The single hook-style is to be fished with a whole minnow and slower and the treble-style is for a minnow head and more aggressive technique.

thanks for another tipon the hooks and minows