Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deathmatch782

Auger suggestions for casual fisher

17 posts in this topic

This would be my first real year of getting into ice fishing in this area by myself.

I have all the basic equipment, and plan on buying a flasher this month.

But I am thinking of upgrading from my Mora hand auger. Cost is an issue for me since most my free money is going towards a flasher.

Is it fine to get something like a Strikemaster Lazer or the Nils hand auger, or should I go gas?

Most of my fishing will be on the St Croix or WBL.

If I go with a gas auger, i'd be limited to under $250.

get the nills hand auger you wont redret it, I have a lazer (fl-7) and it works fine till about 10" of ice then I bust out the 224.

Check hsolist or a pawn shop. You may be able to get a nice auger for much less than the $250.

It’s just my opinion, but I think you should look at getting a used gas auger. You can find them pretty easily for $100-200.

Yes it will consume most of your budget, but I think you will find Ice Fishing more enjoyable when you are not thinking about having to hand auger more holes when you want to move around a bit to find some active fish.

A well cared for Auger (any brand) will work good and last a long time.

FF has low end strikemasters power auger for $289. There are probably some refurbished ones for even cheaper. Try D-Rock in New Brighten. Also, have seen a number of them for sale in the under $250 randge on the popular classified sites.

You can pick up a used hand Lazer for $50 or less, 6" cuts a lot quicker than a 7-8", especially if you plan to use it for the season.

Another option is to get a buddy into the sport too and have him/her pick up the power auger :-)

I agree find a used one. There are alot of them out there. I would find a SM Mag 2000, you should find one between $100-$200

I agree with the gas auger. Once it's over a foot thick you won't drill that much with a hand auger. Been there - done that and it's not fun.

try [YouNeedAuthorization] or [YouNeedAuthorization] as well. call Prince Bait they should have some used augers.

If you want new and cheap check out the Eskimo brand. That's what I have. Barracuda. It's OK and was around 260 from sportsmans whse in coon rapids. I'm going with Strikemaster when I'm ready for a new auger though.

D-Rock in New Brighton will take care of you but get it quick! I was the 5th guy to buy one on the day I went in.

D1ck's Sporting has StrikeMaster Mag 2000 8 1/4 auger 279.99 starting tomorrow. FL8-Se Genz pack for 249.99 as well.

It’s just my opinion, but I think you should look at getting a used gas auger. You can find them pretty easily for $100-200.

Yes it will consume most of your budget, but I think you will find Ice Fishing more enjoyable when you are not thinking about having to hand auger more holes when you want to move around a bit to find some active fish.

A well cared for Auger (any brand) will work good and last a long time.

I 2nd the used auger idea. I spent my 1st real year of ice fishing with a hand auger, it wasn't too bad until you got to the 24" of ice. Once you get past the 2 foot mark the thought of moving was painful, and when it got to 3 1/2 feet your thought real hard about whether moving was a good idea. I bought an old beater that ran and cut ice for $75 and although I bought a new auger since then, I used it for 2 years and was still running when I put it up in the garage rafters. Keep your eyes on the for sale forums here and local classifieds.

I had an Eskimo auger and really was disappointed with it. When I could get it running, it seemed to cut OK, but the one I had was a constant struggle to get going. I just purchased a strikemaster and so far, it starts on the first couple pulls.

I would agree and say that a Mag 2000 is a good bet on a new (or used) auger. I have one and it runs like a champ. This will be the 5th or 6th season with it and the only problem we've ever had with it has been the ripcord getting snap (probably our own falt). But that was an easy fix and the guys up at Strikemaster fixed it for free and showed us how to do it.

Keep an eye on those online classifieds and the newspapers as well. This time of the year when anglers are upgrading their stuff, you could find a really good deal on a used auger.

Also try going to the ice show on the last day their open (Sunday I think) and try to get a deal out of the guys there. They'd rather sell it then have to load it back in a truck.

I had an Eskimo auger and really was disappointed with it. When I could get it running, it seemed to cut OK, but the one I had was a constant struggle to get going. I just purchased a strikemaster and so far, it starts on the first couple pulls.

I have an eskimo and it runs like a dream. 2nd or 3rd pull every time, well unless it is 25 or so below zero and then it is maybe a couple more.

I ended up getting a steal on an Eskimo Shark that was leftover from last year. Missing the gascap, but thats a easy replacement.

Read where a guy on another board was going to cut through the ice with a chain saw,wouldn't this be dangerous?

It is a pretty common practice to use a chainsaw for cutting a spear hole because they are 10 times bigger. I myself use an ice saw which takes more elbow grease but deosn't leave an oil reidue in the water. And yes, chain saws are very dangerous to use whenever you use them.

Death, congrats on the new purchased - sounds like you got a great deal. You can probably get a new cap at any place that services augers/small engine. Most use a vented cap so you will want to make sure the replacement has one if yours requires it - otherwise the gas won't flow right.

If you find that it is not cutting right, like not cutting through bottom of hole cleanly - The blade pitch might be off. I have a friend with an Eskimo that has this problem, and had to get mine adjusted on both my Power SM Lazer Express & Hand Lazer. All were off right out of the box. The SMs work great now that they have been adjusted right.