• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Locked horns

That is why I am convinced that Ottertail county is #1 for bucks, check out the stats per county in the past 20 years it ranks 3rd in typical boone and crockett entries behind St. Louis and Houston, plus you don't have to drive to either end of the state to get there. It has the rich rich soil and nutrients and the racks grow very well, 2005 state record by muzzleloader was Ottertail county, my friend just sent me a photo of a buck scoring 205 that was found dead in the Leaf River bottom, Ottertail county. Want a photo e-mail me. My 14 pointer looks pretty nice, Ottertail county. You'd be stunned if the people from that county showed you the bucks they have taken through the years. The Deer Creek, Henning, New York Mills, Perham, and surrounding areas produce a lot of trophy animals. I'm sure many other counties do very well also, it has a lot to do with not shooting young bucks and many groups in this county practice go/grow. Cool photo and thanks for sharing.

Musky,

With me being biased somewhat, I'm convinced that OTC produces some nice bucks year in year out. My wife and her family is from OTC. I've seen pictures, shoulder mounts and european mounts first hand, from deer taken off their property. It's pretty consistent year in year out.

We found two bucks that died this spring in a creek that were fighting to the death. They were found in the water. One was a 12 and the other a 10.

Hey Harvey,

Was this by Arlington? If so, what direction out of town and what creek?

hey, that CO in that pic is my parents neighbor, the one with tricia plautz. lives a mile down the road. boy, you had better be legit fishing when she is on duty. she was a few years older than i in high school, so needless to say she knows who i am. but whenever she checks me fishing she always wants to see my drivers license with my fishing license. Strictly by the book!!

speaking of locked horns, I just gotta tell this story of what happened here. A guy ran across two locked up elk, one dead and the other pretty emancipated. He decides he's gonna help the live one by prying them apart. He get gored for his trouble and ends up in the hospital for 2 weeks recovery from surgery that was much like open heart because of the location and type of wound. His words were "It was stronger then me"!! The GF&P was called after the guy got gored and they pulled them apart by chaining up the dead ones back legs and pulling them apart with a truck. In my estimation nature should have been allowed to take it's course. But, can you imagine trying to seperate that mass of horns and then proclaiming the elk was stronger then him?

Quote:
In my estimation nature should have been allowed to take it's course.

Why let both bulls die when one can be saved to continue to breed and provide memories to some hunter?

I've heard of CO's shooting antlers off with a pistol or sawing them off, but never pulling them apart by chaining up the dead ones back legs and pulling them apart with a truck. That's a first.