• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

worst season ever

tedl

First time my area was intensive harvest and first time ever skunked.

My brothers camp didn't even see a deer in 7 days of hunting, my camp saw deer opening day and nothing after that. I walked all my trails yesterday after the snow and didn't see a single track. This is the first year between my brother and I that we got skunked since 1991.

Lots of wolf sign but I don't think that is the whole reason. Where are all of the deer?

I hunt in the Superior National Forest. I hunt in 122 right by you and there were only 3 days the deer moved the first 9 days of the season. Monday, Thursday, and Saturday. I saw 8 bucks and 11 does but I saw all those deer but 2 in the 3 days I mentioned. The game wardens stopped at our shack and after a lengthy discussion, we all came to the conclusion that with everything being so wet, the deer changed their patterns and either started winter mode into the cedars, the wind made them not move, or there is not as many deer as everyone expected.

We got 14 for 14...but we really had to work for them in a Management Area.

Lots of deer, but they weren't moving. They had to be "flushed" from the strangest places.

I didn't get a deer this year. First time in 13 years. I could have shot a nice 6-point the first morning...but passed.

our group saw deer, we could have shot one or two for each hunter but we passed them up and ended up with 3 deer at camp this year. Also didnt see as many deer we did in the past years, who knows what happened- weather, too wet and all kinds of reasons.

I agree, I agree want to add that in my area the deer used to move much more on their own without needing other hunters to push them or get them off their feet, in good years or bad, it's pressure mainly in my area as well as other factors, lower deer numbers as well, tons of bow hunters have taken it up as well and on the farm I hunt the bow hunters took 11 deer and hunted 5 days a week and it totally has been changing deer movement where I hunt. I think sometimes bow hunters think they are sneaky and wearing camo the deer barely know they're there, well the scent is there and before the bow hunters came rifle hunting was tremendous, I would see roughly 40-60 deer per season, in the past 2 years I saw 1 fawn and hunted the same amount of hours. But, in Ottertail county every 20 acres or so it seems has a deer stand or two on it and once these deer catch wind of us hunters they know to be bedded down before day break and up after dark. These bow hunters keep bumping them around and pushing them off the field every other night, I like the bow-hunter vs. rifle arguments, without rifle season deer numbers would get completely out of control, I own all three, I just tell my bow hunting buddies that you get 101 extra days of deer hunting 56 before rifle opens and 45 days after. Anyway, that is just the way it is, sit your stand and hope for a chance, lucky for me I own 80 acres which is for sale, tried to lease it for 100 dollars a gun, no takers and so I shot a 14 pointer November 9th at 8:01 AM. I had 12 different bucks on my trail cam between Oct.19th and Nov. 2nd in my swamp, 1 ground scrape so I put it up and wow was I amazed 4 were shootable meaning they'd dress at or above 200 pounds or sported impressive racks. A buddy of mine found a dead buck, the rack scored 205 typical boone and crockett points, want to see that rack send me your e-mail address. Good Luck to zone 1 hunters !

For what it's worth just 100 miles south on the WI side this past weekend the last 2 hours of light had the most action I had seen all year with bucks chasing does, unfortunately only a handfull of small bucks and one small doe came within range of my bow, picked her up from the butcher this afternoon.

I own 80 acres which is for sale, tried to lease it for 100 dollars a gun, no takers

Drop me an e mail scott22782001 at yahoo dot com if your interested in leasing for next year. My current lease is marginal at best, Im always looking for somewhere new.

My friend(s) also complained about the worst season ever. He saw 3 deer opening day, spent several mornings, days and nights on stand.

I was 1/4 mile away on the same property and I had the best season ever. laugh I saw deer every day, lots of activity...

Go figure.

We saw less deer overall, but it was very windy most of the gun season & there weren't too many places they were moving. I saw deer on stand both Saturday mornings, as well as Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday nights.

I passed on a couple, missed one, & shot two others. I only saw three bucks during gun season, a forky on a drive (which my cousin then shot), a spike I passed on (which a neighbor shot), & a small 8 pointer I rattled out (that a different neighbor I didn't see shot before it got to me). I'm pretty sure I would have passed on it anyway, but didn't mean to get it killed.

I passed on 4 or 5 small bucks bowhunting. I came within a second or two of sticking a nice 8 pointer had a tree not blow down in my shooting lane between sits on one of my stands. This forced me to have to let him get too close before I was going to be able to shoot. I was drawn at 10 yards & he would have been dead, but from that side he needed to get to 6 or 7 to be clear because of the blowdown. He decided to look up & didn't like what he saw, that's hunting for you.

I don't believe the problem in our area is due to management but the weather played a bigger part. We could tell by the tracks in the mud that there was more movement at night and very little during the dawn and dusk periods.The high winds along with snow/rain showers along with the upcoming full moon might have caused more night movement. There will just be more next year grin

That was nice rack!!! 3 of us hunt just south of Bemidji and it's our worst year in a while. Saw 6 deer opening morning 5 little bucks and 1 small doe. After that, it's been all down hill. We walk the 120 acre property mostly woods and hardly any sign. We think our problem is nothing to keep the deer on our property. Neighbors have the cows out nothing in the fields around us for them to eat. I guess it's time to invest in food plots...

I don't believe the problem in our area is due to management but the weather played a bigger part. We could tell by the tracks in the mud that there was more movement at night and very little during the dawn and dusk periods.The high winds along with snow/rain showers along with the upcoming full moon might have caused more night movement. There will just be more next year grin

I agree with Jim, lots of tracks and signs especailly in that fresh cover of snow opening mornign and the next day, but the wind and weather kept them holding tight....less taken this year more for next year!