• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sleeping in 6800 or 8x8 sleeper on LOW or URL

FishingWebGuy

Does anybody make extended trips (3, 4, 5 days) to the big northern lakes with only a soft sided house for accommodations?

I'm looking to take a couple trips this winter with my Voyager and possibly a trap link connected sleeper. But as I look at buying the sleeper I start to wonder if it's a crazy idea.

Some things that come to mind are.

1. Adequate Protection from strong winds

2. Condensation getting everything wet. Including sleeping bags.

3. Don't really want to sleep with a heater on.

Should I just save for a hardside or a guide instead? Having to store another portable in the off season for 2 or 3 trips might not make a lot of sense either.

I have thought about sleeping in my Clam 5600 attached to my X2 but haven't had the guts yet. I think you wouldn't be able to sleep without the heater unless you had a super bag. I would imagine a guided trip or go all out and buy a wheel house.

You could always try sleeping in a soft sided house one night or something and see if it is managable.

You would be more of a man than me!! Not to many days up there where its not cold and WINDY! A friend of mine tryed that one time and ended up in our sleeper.Maybe in March when its 35 outside.For a few bucks a Hot Shower and Bed are GREAT!

WOW this really makes me laugh and brings back great memories.

Growing up this is how me and my dad would fish just about every weekend, We would go all over the state fishing and sleeping in our portable it was a 6x8 and at night we would sleep in lawn chairs and have a black and white TV string up in the corner with rope. Any one that try's this will be just fine and if you run in to some bad wind jump in your truck.

I sleep in my 5600 all the time. I have a cot that folds up into a bag and I use the big buddy heater. The worst time I had with it was on Gull Lake a few years ago wind was 30 miles per hour. It kept lifting the corner of the house up. So I had to sit in that corner,good thing I weigh 250lbs lol. It was a terrible night,but I survived it.

Just get a cheap motel and drive between red and lake of the woods. We do it with a group every year and its a blast everytime! That big lake weather can get to be a little to much for sleeping in a portable I would say ESPECIALLY for 5 days!

i wouldnt try and sleep on red personally(least not in january). last trip i took up there we stayed in hotel on hwy 1. got on lake about 7am with flipover. was 20below with 30 mile an hour winds. managed to get 4 holes drilled and frabil set up before i had to get back into truck to warm up. raced back to flipover to start fishing. i had a big buddy full blast and cooker on 1#tank for heat.plus wearing full winter clothes couldnt get warm. after an hour of nothing thought about moving spots but too cold. toughed it out for 6 hours before i had enough. did catch 1 crappie 10 walleyes.

if you do plan on sleeping overnight, i would suggest putting reflectix (sp?) in your portable.would be big help

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm convinced that unless temps are forecast to be in the 20s and 30s I won't try it.

Even if I could tolerate it, the kids would probably be complaining the whole time.

I'll probably just arrange for some guided stays while at the ice show.

I have camped out in my 6800 four times on L.O.W. fished all day then turned the hut into sleeping quarters, I used carpet for the base and used thick movers tarps to insulate the walls. I had two fans on the support poles, a big buddie hooked to a twenty pound tank, two cots and sleeping bags. it worked great there's a little work involved switching from fishing to sleeping quarters, it got below zero one night it still wasn't bad, I will definitely do it again.

We've spent many 2-4 night trips in 8x8 portables on Mille Lacs,Leech & Red. When it gets windy, park your vehicle perpendicular to the wind with your house snuggled up to the down wind side. A blue trap that covers 3 sides and the roof will add 20 degrees on a windy day and 30 on a still day, it will also greatly reduce frost on the walls/roof. A CO detector will let you heat with propane safely all night. Search the Leech forum for sleeping in portables, lots of info there.