Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
croixflats

Nils auger break in period

4 posts in this topic

So when I get to use my new Nils whats the best way to break it in for that matter any auger.

Some will say you do not need to but I mixed up some Amsoil at 80 to 1 and ran 3 tanks thru it. I just removed the auger and let it sit on the deck and every 20 min. I would go out and rev it up. I have started it up every month and it starts right away. You are going to love how fast and light it is.

I have broken in 2 Nils augers and this is what was recomended and what I do.

Fill your 1st tank and make sure you use a richer oil mix.

I run amsoil and its a 100-1 mix but I break my motors in at 70-1 for the 1st 2 tanks. 80-1 will be fine as well.

I then start the motor, disconected from everything, auger shaft/blade, and run it for about 20 minutes. Then rev the motor up and down for about 5 minutes or so while in between revs play with the choke lever back and forth to make sure the diaphram is well lubed up. I do this until I have ran out of the 1st tank of gas. It takes a while but that break in will have your motor running top notch your 1st time on the ice.

After that tank Im ready to cut ice. I then fill my 2nd tank full with the 70-1 amsoil and use that on the ice until gone.

After that all my tanks are 100-1 amsoil.

I buy the little pillow packets and they are made for 1 gallon of gas. Very easy to mix that way. 1 gallon of gas will last you quite a while depending on how many holes you punch of course.

I also store my auger with a full tank and run it at least once a month to keep it well lubed up. It usually starts 1st or second pull.

Enjoy your Nils you will love it. I am a much more mobil fisherman these days and much of the reason is that cutting holes with my Nils is now more fun than work.

I think I catch more fish because of it too.

Thank you very much for the info.

Now to wait. The local indoor hockey rink is looking mighty inviting. laugh

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• +1 on striker ice love mine    
    • I know of which you speak and they were full when I stopped by for my new fav Ghost Pepper beef sticks on the last weekend. Well I stopped by on the 1st-2nd and last weekend for the beef sticks! I use to cut up all my Deer until I and the wife wanted some of those more fancy brat's and sausage I just couldn't do.
    • My FXR sled jacket and bibs have the F.A.S.T Flotation Assistance system Technology in them so I get dlb duty out of the suit sledding and Ice fishing. Right now Cab's up in Rogers has the FXR outdoor suits but they aren't cheap. Love mine.    
    • Those look Great. Most of the time just crock potted them to death! 
    • Glad to hear it isn't the local 172 processor people complained about last year.    I was happy to have the needed "facilities" back this year.  Set up, skinned, sliced, diced, vacuum packed and cleaned up in 3.5 hours.  No, that doesn't include the grind, but we do take that in.
    • I go to Petty Bro's in Annandale and have with about the last 8-9 Deer. They usually get it back in about 3 weeks.
    • And aren't a big fan of eating it?   I'm OK with marinating and grilling the breasts but the rest of the family aren't big fans.  And I can say I prefer duck too.   So I tried smoking the breasts - and loved it!  And now I want more!   I took the simple route since it was my first try.  I picked up some High Mountain game bird and poultry brine and let em brine for two days chilled.   I put them on my smoker grill with the coals in the side fire box.  4 handfuls of wet mesquite chips during the 2.5 hour smoke at about 250 degrees.  I brushed with olive oil and teriyaki marinade to finish.  Pink and tender throughout, not jerked dry and tough.  Phenomenal.     I ate the last one yesterday on the deer stand.  After pulling the tenderloin off for the chefs treat, I just slice it thin against the grain.     Give it a try if you feel like the only things to do with geese are to grind em up.
    • So what do you propose we cut in order to offset that grand per job subsidy? Please be specific.   Do you propose doing the same for competing companies or do you like to play favorites?  
  • Our Sponsors