• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nils auger break in period

croixflats

Some will say you do not need to but I mixed up some Amsoil at 80 to 1 and ran 3 tanks thru it. I just removed the auger and let it sit on the deck and every 20 min. I would go out and rev it up. I have started it up every month and it starts right away. You are going to love how fast and light it is.

I have broken in 2 Nils augers and this is what was recomended and what I do.

Fill your 1st tank and make sure you use a richer oil mix.

I run amsoil and its a 100-1 mix but I break my motors in at 70-1 for the 1st 2 tanks. 80-1 will be fine as well.

I then start the motor, disconected from everything, auger shaft/blade, and run it for about 20 minutes. Then rev the motor up and down for about 5 minutes or so while in between revs play with the choke lever back and forth to make sure the diaphram is well lubed up. I do this until I have ran out of the 1st tank of gas. It takes a while but that break in will have your motor running top notch your 1st time on the ice.

After that tank Im ready to cut ice. I then fill my 2nd tank full with the 70-1 amsoil and use that on the ice until gone.

After that all my tanks are 100-1 amsoil.

I buy the little pillow packets and they are made for 1 gallon of gas. Very easy to mix that way. 1 gallon of gas will last you quite a while depending on how many holes you punch of course.

I also store my auger with a full tank and run it at least once a month to keep it well lubed up. It usually starts 1st or second pull.

Enjoy your Nils you will love it. I am a much more mobil fisherman these days and much of the reason is that cutting holes with my Nils is now more fun than work.

I think I catch more fish because of it too.